Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Copying formulas from one cell to another

While working on a worksheet I tried to copy a formula from one cell to the
adjacent cell by clicking and dragging the black box in the lower rt. corner
of the first cell to the adjacent cell. I have been doing this for years w/o
a problem. Now when I try to do it I can only AUTOFILL the new cell. The only
way the formula is transferred is to then click on the new cell which shows
that the formula has in fact be transferred and then hit "Enter." After I do
this the formula is activated! Prior to last night I was able to just click
on the black box, drag it to the adjacent cell, and click; at which point the
formula was activated and the new data presented? What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

maybe calculation is set to Manual
ToolsoptionsCalculationautomatic

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Woodie6" wrote in message
[...]

signature database 4535 (20091023) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4535 (20091023) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like you have calculation mode set to manual.

Change to Automatic.

Now you're going to ask how it got that way.

The first workbook opened during a session of Excel will set the calculation
mode for all subsequent opened workbooks no matter what calc mode they were
saved in.

You have to watch out for this at all times.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:56:09 -0700, Woodie6
wrote:

While working on a worksheet I tried to copy a formula from one cell to the
adjacent cell by clicking and dragging the black box in the lower rt. corner
of the first cell to the adjacent cell. I have been doing this for years w/o
a problem. Now when I try to do it I can only AUTOFILL the new cell. The only
way the formula is transferred is to then click on the new cell which shows
that the formula has in fact be transferred and then hit "Enter." After I do
this the formula is activated! Prior to last night I was able to just click
on the black box, drag it to the adjacent cell, and click; at which point the
formula was activated and the new data presented? What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:25:22 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

Sounds like you have calculation mode set to manual.

Change to Automatic.

Now you're going to ask how it got that way.

The first workbook opened during a session of Excel will set the calculation
mode for all subsequent opened workbooks no matter what calc mode they were
saved in.

You have to watch out for this at all times.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

IF they are opened while that workbook is open, or IF they are opened
while that excel session in up?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If they are opened while first workbook with manual calculation is still
open they will be manual.

Close that wb before opening another one and calc mode will be that of next
wb opened.

Gord

wrote:

Sounds like you have calculation mode set to manual.

Change to Automatic.

Now you're going to ask how it got that way.

The first workbook opened during a session of Excel will set the calculation
mode for all subsequent opened workbooks no matter what calc mode they were
saved in.

You have to watch out for this at all times.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

IF they are opened while that workbook is open, or IF they are opened
while that excel session in up?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Burglars took more than $40,000 in -'*TIFFANY BRACELETS*'
(http://www.onsaletiffany.com/BRACELETS-1.html) jewelry- from three
homes in Glenview last week, authorities said.Someone entered a home in
the 2300 block of Lily Lane late last week and took $41,000 worth of
-jewelry-, according to police. In addition, a resident in the 2000
block of Sunset Ridge Road reported that a $500 bracelet had been
stolen on May 1, and a resident of 1300 block of Pleasant Lane told
police $500 worth of -jewelry- had been stolen on the same day.Police
sent a flier to residents about the '*TIFFANY CUFF LINKS*'
(http://www.onsaletiffany.com/CUFF_LINKS-1.html) burglaries.

--
love1314
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, it was a valid request for clarification.

Closing the first workbook before opening a second workbook will give Excel
a chance to pick up the calc mode from the next workbook opened.

Unless.............always one of these<g

You close the wb that has set global calc mode to manual then open a NEW
workbook.

The NEW workbook will be in manual mode because it has no saved calc mode
setting yet.

Gord

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 20:30:55 -0700, CellShocked