Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel is Calculating Incorrectly

I'm using the below formula:
=IF(F10=0,"0",SUM(C10/F10))

The data entry in F10 is 5. The data entry in C10 is 10. That should equate
to 200%; however excel keeps giving me 192% as the equation. This is
happening in many of the cells using this particular formula type.

Please assist.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Increase the number of decimal places on those cells. You might see
that C10 actually contains 9.6, but it displays as 10 because of the
format used.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 22, 9:30*am, Mike wrote:
I'm using the below formula:
=IF(F10=0,"0",SUM(C10/F10))

The data entry in F10 is 5. The data entry in C10 is 10. *That should equate
to 200%; however excel keeps giving me 192% as the equation. This is
happening in many of the cells using this particular formula type.

Please assist.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

.... further to which (for the benefit of the OP, not muddan), why use SUM()
when you haven't told Excel what to add to C10/F10? If you want C10/F10,
say C10/F10, not SUM(C10/F10).
If you don't know what the SUM function does, please look it up in Excel
help, rather than just randomly scattering it around your formula.
At the very least, if you want to use unnecessary functions, why not give us
some variety, and change SUM(C10/F10) to AVERAGE(C10/F10) or MIN(C10/F10) or
MAX(C10/F10) or PRODUCT(C10/F10) or ...
None of them will give a different answer from C10/F10, but we do get rather
bored with seeing SUM used unnecessarily when there are plenty of other
functions that could be used unnecessarily in the same pointless way.
<end of rant

Also, are you sure that you want the zero to be a text string wehen
otherwise you are calculating a number?

I think it likely that instead of
=IF(F10=0,"0",SUM(C10/F10))
what was probably wanted was