Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel document incorrectly applying read-only

Hi

I have an excel document that needs to be modified by any user. When the
doucment is opened on other computers it is incorrectly defaulting to read
only.

I have check the following areas and all have the following settings
Excel
Tools Protection - none applied
Tools Options Security - none applied
File Permissions - unrestricced access

Explorer
r/m/c on document
Properties General Attributes - none applied (I tried to set for read-only
applied, then unticked read-only, apply - still opens on other computers as
read-only)
Properties Security - Permissions for everyone = Full Control

I have obviosly applied something? somewhere? that is forcing the
"Read-Only" properties for other users.

Any suggestions welcome

thanks
Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know if you've already tried this. Open the file and click 'File' on
the toolbar, 'Save As'
On the right hand side of the dialogue box that opens, click 'Tools'
'General Options'
If there's anything in 'Password to Open' or 'Password to Modify', remove it
and save the file. You'll get the 'This file already exists' message, Click
yes to save.
Regards,
Alan.
"working" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Alan
thanks for this tip as I didn't know you could access info that way.

Unfortunatley the options are all showing as blank (no password applied).

very puzzling/frustrating

thanks
Sue

"working" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you emailing this file to the others or did you place the file on a common
network drive?

If you emailed it, then I don't have a guess.

But if you placed it on a common network drive, I'd bet that the users who open
the file in read-only mode (with no prompt) have no write access to that network
drive.

Excel works in conjunction with windows and knows if the user can't save the
file to that location, then it has to be opened in read-only mode.

If you think that the IT staff made sure that the users all had read/write (and
delete) access, ask one of the users with the trouble to save a text document
(use notepad) to that location.

I bet they'll have trouble and you'll be contacting your help desk.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

This document is saved on a network along with numerous other excel
documents that I create. Any of which may be accessed and updated by upto 10
different staff on any given day. We opened other excel documents on their
computers from the network and they all work fine.
The odd thing is that this document is a couple of years old and when I
updated it a week ago, I must have pressed "something" to cause the
"read-only" for anybody else, as prior to last weeks update, everybody was
accessing it on the network and updating it as a normal document?

As a followup from Alans kind offer to look at the file, Alan was able to
update and save the document that I emailed him.

I tried to copy the worksheets to a new document, but it is still read-only
for other users.

Any other suggestions most welcome

thanks Sue

working wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wouldn't give up on it being a permission issue.

What happened when one of the users who had trouble tried saving a text file to
the same folder?

It doesn't take much for a simple change in the IT department to mess things up
for users???

Maybe something bad happened and the IT staff had to restore the permissions and
they didn't do it right????