Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default use of define name functions

Hi,
I want to create a data sheet in which the operator must enter a text name in one of the columns . However, I only want to allow the operator to be able to enter a predefined list of text names that I have set up in advance.

For example:
the heading of the column is "sales". When entering data into that column, I don't want the operator to be able to enter just anything but rather they are only allowed to enter (electronics,electrical, computer, and mechanical).

I understand taht one can use define name lists but I am really struggling to find help with how to define a name using text rather than working with numbers.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

Solution to the Annoying Flickering Problem When Updating Textboxes
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-annoying.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

john folmar wrote:
Hi,
I want to create a data sheet in which the operator must enter a text name in one of the columns . However, I only want to allow the operator to be able to enter a predefined list of text names that I have set up in advance.

For example:
the heading of the column is "sales". When entering data into that column, I don't want the operator to be able to enter just anything but rather they are only allowed to enter (electronics,electrical, computer, and mechanical).

I understand taht one can use define name lists but I am really struggling to find help with how to define a name using text rather than working with numbers.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

Solution to the Annoying Flickering Problem When Updating Textboxes
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-annoying.aspx

Have a look at this to see it helps:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could set up data validation on the cells in that column, and
choose List for the Allow option - your list is
electronics,electrical,computer,mechanical.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 16, 12:06*am, john folmar wrote:
Hi,
I want to create a data sheet in which the operator must enter a text name in one of the columns . *However, I only want to allow the operator to be able to enter a predefined list of text names that I have set up in advance.

For example:
the heading of the column is "sales". *When entering data into that column, I don't want the operator to be able to enter just anything but rather they are only allowed to enter (electronics,electrical, computer, and mechanical).

I understand taht one can use define name lists but I am really struggling to find help with how to define a name using text rather than working with numbers.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

Solution to the Annoying Flickering Problem When Updating Textboxeshttp://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/7eeffdd9-11d4-4e48-beb2-3...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To limit a user to a specific list of items to be entered you could use Data
Validation Dropdown lists.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for instructions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:06:48 -0700, john folmar wrote:

Hi,
I want to create a data sheet in which the operator must enter a text name in one of the columns . However, I only want to allow the operator to be able to enter a predefined list of text names that I have set up in advance.

For example:
the heading of the column is "sales". When entering data into that column, I don't want the operator to be able to enter just anything but rather they are only allowed to enter (electronics,electrical, computer, and mechanical).

I understand taht one can use define name lists but I am really struggling to find help with how to define a name using text rather than working with numbers.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

Solution to the Annoying Flickering Problem When Updating Textboxes
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-annoying.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Type Electronics, Electrical, Computer and Mechanical in G1:G4. Click on
the the cell which you want to validate and then go to Data Validation
All List and then specify the range as G1:G4. Click on OK. Now in that
cell he will only be able to enter any one of the 4 values.

Please note that a simple copy paste operation overrides data validation

Hope this helps.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com