Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rob Rob is offline

Default Criteria to return maximum value where x = x

Good morning,

I have an Excel file with two sheets, sheet 1 contains two columns of data,
column A has text and column B has numbers. In sheet 2, I have a list if
unique text that matches that in column A of sheet 1. I need to place a
formula alongside the unique list in sheet 2 to return the highest
corresponding value in sheet 1 i.e. the value in column B.

Below is an example of what I'm looking to achieve. Any pointers most
welcome.

Thanks, Rob

col a col b
01 30
02 29
01 31
02 30
01 34

col c col d
01 want to return 34
02 want to return 30

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Leading 0's are almost always a pain!

Try this array formula** :

=MAX(IF(Sheet1!A$1:A$5=C1,Sheet1!B$1:B$5))

key then hit ENTER.

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rob" wrote in message
Good morning,

I have an Excel file with two sheets, sheet 1 contains two columns of
data, column A has text and column B has numbers. In sheet 2, I have a
list if unique text that matches that in column A of sheet 1. I need to
place a formula alongside the unique list in sheet 2 to return the highest
corresponding value in sheet 1 i.e. the value in column B.

Below is an example of what I'm looking to achieve. Any pointers most
welcome.

Thanks, Rob

col a col b
01 30
02 29
01 31
02 30
01 34

col c col d
01 want to return 34
02 want to return 30

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rob Rob is offline

Biff,

Just the job, worked as required. Saved me hours!

Regards, Robert
"T. Valko" wrote in message
Leading 0's are almost always a pain!

Try this array formula** :

=MAX(IF(Sheet1!A$1:A$5=C1,Sheet1!B$1:B$5))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key and the
SHIFT key then hit ENTER.

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff