Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Maximum value based on criteria

I have three columns. One is a list of job titles, one is their hourly labor
rates and one is the state in which they work.

There may be several labor rates listed for a given job title and there may
be duplicates. I want a formula that gives the max value for a given job
title and state. I know how to do it using a pivot but don't want to use one
since I want row titles for every row. I tried using a sumproduct and max
but that didn't work...any ideas?