Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Matching two list - How can I do it?

Hi

I am looking for assistance ( a formula ?)that would match two records
which are almost the same (except for the a few letters. See example
below. Vlookup does not help if the two records are not identical.

PROJECT HARDWARE & ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTO
PROJECT HARDWARE & ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTORS

Thanks for you help

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this€¦

Just add an asterisk symbol as last character in your lookup value.

1st Method

Assume that the below value is lying in A1 cell and you want to refer it as
a lookup value in your vlookup

A1 Cell
PROJECT HARDWARE & ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTO

F1 Cell
PROJECT HARDWARE & ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTORS

G1 Cell
66

Now I am using this formula by referring a1 cell as lookup value and
searching it in F:G columns.

=VLOOKUP(A1&"*",F:G,2,FALSE)

The above formula will result the value 66.

2nd Method
Like the same case you can add the asterisk symbol in the end of the a1 cell
value

A1 Cell
PROJECT HARDWARE & ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTO*

If you are adding the asterisk symbol in the cell value itself then there is
no need to use the * in your formula. So make your formula like this

=VLOOKUP(A1,F:G,2,FALSE)

Note:- Whenever you use the asterisk symbol in the formula, the formula will
match only the characters which is lying before the asterisk symbol.

A1 Cell
PROJECT HARDWARE*

F1 Cell
PROJECT HARDWARE & ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTORS

G1 Cell
66

=VLOOKUP(A1,F:G,2,FALSE)
OR
=VLOOKUP(A1&"*",F:G,2,FALSE)

The above formula will result the value 66.

Both the formulas will match only the word €ťPROJECT HARDWARE€ť and It will
not consider the remaining letters which are all followed after €śPROJECT
HARDWARE€ś (i.e.) & ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTORS will be ignored.

If this post helps, Click Yes!

(Ms-Exl-Learner)