Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Time lines, Gantt charts and auto-populating cells: possible?

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that works as a Gantt chart. The user simply enters the
start-date for the first task and the duration of each task; the spreadsheet
then gives start and end dates for every task and populates a Gantt chart.

The worksheet works like this:

- Theres a table of dates from D5 to E22. The user enters the start date of
Task 1 into cell D5 and the tasks duration in F5. The formula in E5
calculates the value in F5 as workdays added to the tasks start date (D5) to
give the end date. The start date of the Task 2 (cell D6) is calculated by
adding a single workday to the end date of the first task, and so on down the
chart.

- The Gantt chart runs from K5 to BZ22. Along the top of the Gantt chart row
2 contains a column header specifying the days of the week, row 3 a header
specifying the date (row 1 is hidden and contains company holidays to be
referenced by the workday function, row 4 the project name and other admin
details). To specify the start day of the project the user clicks in to
appropriate cell in Week 1, row 3 and enters =D5. Its important that the
Gantt chart starts on the right day, otherwise weekends will be out.

What I would like to do is create a worksheet that functions in the
following manner.

- User enters the date in cell D5
- Spreadsheet checks the date, understands automatically that it is a
Wednesday and thus populates the appropriate cell in row 3 with value in D5,
so that the Gantt chart starts on a Wednesday.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and if it is what functions I need to
master to actually do it?

A long post, I know, but I couldnt think of a way of making it shorter and
explaining how the sheet works: so thanks if youve read this far.

Best regards

Karl