Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need help with formula to count the number of times each date appe

I have a column of dates and then I have a column called Date Sequence number.

I want the sequence number to start at 1 and increase by one on each row
until the Date changes, then I want the date sequence number to start over at
one and
Keep increasing by one until the date changes again.

For example:

Date Date Seq Nbr

08/16/09 1
08/16/09 2
08/16/09 3
08/17/09 1
08/17/09 2
08/17/09 3
08/17/09 4
08/17/09 5
08/18/09 1
08/18/09 2
08/19/09 1
08/19/09 2
08/19/09 3
08/19/09 4

I will enter the Date filed on each row but I want the Date Seq Nbr to
automatically fill and increase without having to type it in. Can this be
done? If so how?

Thank you!
Barbara

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this...

Assume your dates start in cell A2.

Enter 1 in B2

Enter this formula in B3 and copy down as needed:

=IF(A3=A2,B2+1,1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Barbara" wrote in message
I have a column of dates and then I have a column called Date Sequence
number.

I want the sequence number to start at 1 and increase by one on each row
until the Date changes, then I want the date sequence number to start over
at
one and
Keep increasing by one until the date changes again.

For example:

Date Date Seq Nbr

08/16/09 1
08/16/09 2
08/16/09 3
08/17/09 1
08/17/09 2
08/17/09 3
08/17/09 4
08/17/09 5
08/18/09 1
08/18/09 2
08/19/09 1
08/19/09 2
08/19/09 3
08/19/09 4

I will enter the Date filed on each row but I want the Date Seq Nbr to
automatically fill and increase without having to type it in. Can this be
done? If so how?

Thank you!
Barbara

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need help with formula to count the number of times each date

That didn't work but I did get an answer that did. Thank you so much for
trying to help - I really appreciate being able to ask the experts!!

"Barbara" wrote in message
I have a column of dates and then I have a column called Date Sequence
number.

I want the sequence number to start at 1 and increase by one on each row
until the Date changes, then I want the date sequence number to start over
at
one and
Keep increasing by one until the date changes again.

For example:

Date Date Seq Nbr

08/16/09 1
08/16/09 2
08/16/09 3
08/17/09 1
08/17/09 2
08/17/09 3
08/17/09 4
08/17/09 5
08/18/09 1
08/18/09 2
08/19/09 1
08/19/09 2
08/19/09 3
08/19/09 4

I will enter the Date filed on each row but I want the Date Seq Nbr to
automatically fill and increase without having to type it in. Can this be
done? If so how?

Thank you!
Barbara

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That didn't work but I did get an answer that did.

Hmmm....

Worked just fine for me. Care to explain what didn't work means? Are there
any empty/blank cells within the range?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Barbara" wrote in message
I have a column of dates and then I have a column called Date Sequence
number.

I want the sequence number to start at 1 and increase by one on each
row
until the Date changes, then I want the date sequence number to start
over
at
one and
Keep increasing by one until the date changes again.

For example:

Date Date Seq Nbr