Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Average more than 30 numeric arguments

And if you just put an extra pair of brackets around the list of cells, it
is considered one argument. I don't know how many cells you can put in a
list like this, but certainly more than 30. And of course then you can start
a new list, which will only be the second argument, etc

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:46:01 -0700, ~SB
wrote:

I need help on how to average more than 30 numbers in a single column when
the numbers are not in contiguous rows. Excel tells me I can only have 1
30 numeric arguments when I try to average more than 30 cells.
An example of what I'm trying to do:
=average(a1,a3,a5,a7,a9,a11,...,a61,a63,a65,.. .)

I would appreciate any insights.

Another solution than Luke's, if your ranges cannot be related by some
formula,
would be to add all the values, then divide by the appropriate number.

For example:

=(SUM(a1,a3,a5,a7) + a11 + a92 +a94 +sum(a100,a200,a300)) / 10

or something similar.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Niek

Using =AVERAGE((cell1,cell2,cell3............))

I quit adding non-contiguous cells at 100 and no problem to that point.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:07:10 +0200, "Niek Otten" wrote:

And if you just put an extra pair of brackets around the list of cells, it
is considered one argument. I don't know how many cells you can put in a
list like this, but certainly more than 30. And of course then you can start
a new list, which will only be the second argument, etc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Using that "trick" you showed me Gord (<Shift <F8), I got 236 cells to
work before the "Formula Too Long" error popped up.

BTW, it (<Shift <F8) also works well for selecting non-contiguous cells
for the "Named Range" data entry procedure.

RD