Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Goodness of fit test

I am doing polynomial curve fitting in Excel (2003 and 2007). I have used the
r-squared function, but want the F-value, or F-statistic function. Can
someone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

stats4today -

One approach is to create the X^2, X^3, etc. values on your worksheet that
has the Y and X data. Then use the Regression tool of the Analysis ToolPak,
which provides ANOVA results with and F statistic. (For the Regression tool,
the X, X^2, X^3, etc. values must be in adjacent columns.)

- Mike

http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"stats4today" wrote in message
I am doing polynomial curve fitting in Excel (2003 and 2007). I have used
the
r-squared function, but want the F-value, or F-statistic function. Can
someone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Xt Xt is offline

On Aug 13, 8:03*am, stats4today
wrote:
I am doing polynomial curve fitting in Excel (2003 and 2007). I have used the
r-squared function, but want the F-value, or F-statistic function. Can
someone help?

p = number of predictors = power in this case
n = number of points
R2 = r-squared value from Excel trendline

F = R2/(1-R2)*(n-p-1)/p

xt
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Note that this tests whether the entire model fits better than just a simple
mean. It does not test whether there are too many or too few polynomial
terms in the model. For that, see Mike's answer.

Jerry

a test E2out Excel Worksheet Functions 1 May 11th 07 11:55 PM
test Naraine Ramkirath Excel Worksheet Functions 0 May 3rd 07 10:09 PM
Calculate mean of test scores from rows of test answers RiotLoadTime Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 July 26th 06 05:14 PM
Goodness of fit function J Shrimps, Jr. Excel Worksheet Functions 1 November 7th 05 05:41 AM
test..where are my messages..test HT New Users to Excel 0 January 23rd 05 06:23 PM