Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default index/Match Misbehaving

I created a Pivot table, and did a copy/paste special values to get rid of
the Pivot Table. Now, I try to do a simple Index/Match, and I almost always
get the lowest value in the list as a result, no matter what lookup value I
use for the Match. What could cause this? I know the zip codes (this is the
array for the index) come out as text (this file was downloaded from an
external system). That shouldn't matter, right. I'm not concerned about the
data type, I'm just looking for my Match, but can't find it. Anyway, even if
I convert the zips to number-type, the results are still wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan---

--
Ryan---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What could cause this?

Using a match_type argument of 1 (or TRUE or omitted) when the data is not
sorted in ascending order.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ryguy7272" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah, I tried that. I just keep getting the last number in the index list.
I've under Index/Match thousands of times before; can't figure out why it's
not working now.

Anything else?

Ryan---

--
Ryan---

"ryguy7272" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ryan; have a close look at the zipcodes (Press F2) to see if there are any
other characters present in the array data.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"ryguy7272" wrote:

I created a Pivot table, and did a copy/paste special values to get rid of
the Pivot Table. Now, I try to do a simple Index/Match, and I almost always
get the lowest value in the list as a result, no matter what lookup value I
use for the Match. What could cause this? I know the zip codes (this is the
array for the index) come out as text (this file was downloaded from an
external system). That shouldn't matter, right. I'm not concerned about the
data type, I'm just looking for my Match, but can't find it. Anyway, even if
I convert the zips to number-type, the results are still wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan---

--
Ryan---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hmmm...

If you have the match_type set for an exact match then the formula should
return #N/A if an exact match isn't found.

Can I see your file (if it's not too big: 1mb)?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ryguy7272" wrote in message
[...]

If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking
''Yes''.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Why not show us your formula and some sample data?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"ryguy7272" wrote:

I created a Pivot table, and did a copy/paste special values to get rid of
the Pivot Table. Now, I try to do a simple Index/Match, and I almost always
get the lowest value in the list as a result, no matter what lookup value I
use for the Match. What could cause this? I know the zip codes (this is the
array for the index) come out as text (this file was downloaded from an
external system). That shouldn't matter, right. I'm not concerned about the
data type, I'm just looking for my Match, but can't find it. Anyway, even if
I convert the zips to number-type, the results are still wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan---

--
Ryan---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Evidentially, I used this type of function:
=INDEX(range,MATCH(cell,range),0)

This caused excel to default to 1 (TRUE).

Should have been:
=INDEX(range,MATCH(cell,range,0))

By do I feel dumb...

--
Ryan---

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

I have to ask, why wouldn't you show the formula to all of us?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"ryguy7272" wrote:

Biff, what is your email? I tried the one @comcast but it bounced back to me.
Please send me an email.

Thanks,
Ryan--

--
Ryan---

"ryguy7272" wrote:

I created a Pivot table, and did a copy/paste special values to get rid of
the Pivot Table. Now, I try to do a simple Index/Match, and I almost always
get the lowest value in the list as a result, no matter what lookup value I
use for the Match. What could cause this? I know the zip codes (this is the
array for the index) come out as text (this file was downloaded from an
external system). That shouldn't matter, right. I'm not concerned about the
data type, I'm just looking for my Match, but can't find it. Anyway, even if
I convert the zips to number-type, the results are still wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan---

--
Ryan---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

By do I feel dumb...

Welcome to the club. Been there, done that!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP