L/P

Default Currency question

Would like to be able to enter a number w/o need to enter decimal point but
have it show with DP.

IOW- If I enter 123456 in a cell, would like it to show as 1,234.56

Suggestions please,
L.

Paul B

L/P, format the cell as number with 2 decimal places and use 1000 seperator
then go to tool,s options, edit, and check fixed decimal places

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"L/P" wrote in message
Would like to be able to enter a number w/o need to enter decimal point

but
have it show with DP.

IOW- If I enter 123456 in a cell, would like it to show as 1,234.56

Suggestions please,
L.

L/P

Thanks for the info. worked...
Question- Does the "fixed decimal places" work for all cells or ONLY cells
formatted as a numbers, currency, etc.etc.?
Besides columns for check amounts, I have columns for date and check
numbers, ex. 1/08 and check # 1258 and don't what it showing as 1.08 and/or
12.58

"L/P" wrote in message
Would like to be able to enter a number w/o need to enter decimal point

but
have it show with DP.

IOW- If I enter 123456 in a cell, would like it to show as 1,234.56

Suggestions please,
L.

Gord Dibben

FD works only on numerics, not dates or text.

"check # 1258" is text.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"L/P" wrote in message
Would like to be able to enter a number w/o need to enter decimal point

but
have it show with DP.

IOW- If I enter 123456 in a cell, would like it to show as 1,234.56

Suggestions please,
L.

Paul B

L/P, I don't use fixed decimal but it looks like it will change most
formats, you could format the column with the check number as text and it
will not change as long as you don't want to do any calculations on them,
looks like dates should be OK. Beaware that if you cut on fixed decimal it
will work that way for all workbooks. You could use a macro to cut it on and
off for that workbook and/or to check what column you are in and turn fixed
decimals on and off but this seams like a lot just to keep from typing in a
decimal.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"L/P" wrote in message
Would like to be able to enter a number w/o need to enter decimal point

but
have it show with DP.

IOW- If I enter 123456 in a cell, would like it to show as 1,234.56

Suggestions please,
L.

L/P

Thanks to all.
It appears that if I format the check # column as "text" and the date column
as "date" then the other columns, i.e. check amount, utlities, payroll,
office suppies, etc.etc.etc. it will work ok.

Again, thanks for the help.

L.

"Paul B" wrote in message
L/P, format the cell as number with 2 decimal places and use 1000
seperator
then go to tool,s options, edit, and check fixed decimal places

--
Paul B
Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from
it
Using Excel 2002 & 2003