Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I search a whole workbook using the =INDEX function?

I am trying to search an entire workbook for a text string e.g. "Fred". This
could be on one of many worksheets but will be in column A. When this has
been found, I want the value in column Q to be returned. I am trying to do
this using the =INDEX(#####,MATCH(A3, ######,0),17) command where I want
##### to be the entire workbook.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Download and install the free add-in Morefunc.xll from:
http://www.download.com/Morefunc/300...-10423159.html

....then use this formula

=INDEX(THREED(Sheet1:Sheet3!G1:B100),MATCH("*Fred* ",THREED(Sheet1:Sheet3!A1:A100),0))

"Will" wrote:

I am trying to search an entire workbook for a text string e.g. "Fred". This
could be on one of many worksheets but will be in column A. When this has
been found, I want the value in column Q to be returned. I am trying to do
this using the =INDEX(#####,MATCH(A3, ######,0),17) command where I want
##### to be the entire workbook.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It did not work for me. I have the addin but I get a #N/A error

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Will" wrote:

I am trying to search an entire workbook for a text string e.g. "Fred".
This
could be on one of many worksheets but will be in column A. When this
has
been found, I want the value in column Q to be returned. I am trying to
do
this using the =INDEX(#####,MATCH(A3, ######,0),17) command where I want
##### to be the entire workbook.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You may want to refer to Question 9 on the following link -
http://ashishmathur.com/knowledgebaseII.aspx

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com