Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding letters instead of numbers and an additonal criteria

ive got a column with grades ranging from A-G. i am trying to find out how
many A-C grades there are. A user has helped me out with the following formula

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

SUM(COUNTIF(enla,{"A","B","C"}))

where enla is my named range.

What if i wanted to break this down further and wanted to see how many males
got A-C grades. I think i'd have to use sumproduct, but don't know how to
compose this. Please could you help?

many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try the below with "m" for male in ColB
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B100="m"),--ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:A100,{"a","b","c"},0)))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

SUM(COUNTIF(enla,{"A","B","C"}))

where enla is my named range.

What if i wanted to break this down further and wanted to see how many males
got A-C grades. I think i'd have to use sumproduct, but don't know how to
compose this. Please could you help?

many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B100="m"),--ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:A100,{"a","b","c"},0)))

shorter formula:

=SUMPRODUCT((B1:B100="m")*(A1:A100={"a","b","c"}))