Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adding numbers with letters

Could you kindly please tell how I may add number with letters.
For example 29A+30A +19A

Thank you
--
Singha
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Singha wrote:
Could you kindly please tell how I may add number with letters.
For example 29A+30A +19A

Thank you
--
Singha

Hi Singha,

If 29A is in A1, 30A in A2 and 19A in A3, then the following array
formula returns 78A...

=SUM(VALUE(LEFT(A1:A3,LEN(A1:A3)-1)))&"A"

It is an array formula so you have to enter it by simultaneously
pressing Ctrl + Shift + Enter, other wise the #VALUE error is returned.

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Singha wrote:
Could you kindly please tell how I may add number with letters.
For example 29A+30A +19A

Thank you
--
Singha

Here's a better solution that is NOT an array formula and will only add
the A's, so if the 2nd term was 30B instead of 30A it returns 48A...

=SUMPRODUCT(VALUE(LEFT(A1:A3,LEN(A1:A3)-1)),--(RIGHT(A1:A3,1)="A"))&
"A"

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Singha wrote: