Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default use a function for filtered data

I am trying to count items in a spreadsheet using the following formula
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A3:A83,A3:A83)0,1)) when I filter the amount comes up the
same--how can I incorporate the subtotal function in here to get a proper
number. The data in the range is week numbers that correspond with activities
performed each day. I need to filter how many of the weeks the activity is
done.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

First of all, we must thank Biff for sharing this solution. This is the
formula to count the unique values in a filtered range.

=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A2,ROW(A3:A83)-ROW(A2),)),MATCH(A3:A83,A3:A83,0)),ROW(A3:A83)-ROW(A2)))

If this works for you, the kindly post back and thank Biff for the same.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"debl" wrote in message
I am trying to count items in a spreadsheet using the following formula
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A3:A83,A3:A83)0,1)) when I filter the amount comes up
the
same--how can I incorporate the subtotal function in here to get a proper
number. The data in the range is week numbers that correspond with
activities
performed each day. I need to filter how many of the weeks the activity is
done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A3:A83,A3:A83)0,1))

That formula will count unique numbers.

Try this array formula** :

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(2,OFFSET(A3,ROW(A3:A 83)-ROW(A3),)),A3:A83),A3:A83),1))

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"debl" wrote in message
I am trying to count items in a spreadsheet using the following formula
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A3:A83,A3:A83)0,1)) when I filter the amount comes up
the
same--how can I incorporate the subtotal function in here to get a proper
number. The data in the range is week numbers that correspond with
activities
performed each day. I need to filter how many of the weeks the activity is
done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is the formula to count the unique
values in a filtered range.

That is a generic formula that will count *both* text and numbers.

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A3:A83,A3:A83)0,1))

The OP posted that formula so I'm assuming they want to count the unique
numbers in the filtered list. If the range might contain both text and
numbers then you need to write the formula to specifically count the numbers
only. If the range will only contain numbers then the generic formula should
work.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"debl" wrote in message
I am trying to count items in a spreadsheet using the following formula
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A3:A83,A3:A83)0,1)) when I filter the amount comes up
the
same--how can I incorporate the subtotal function in here to get a proper
number. The data in the range is week numbers that correspond with
activities
performed each day. I need to filter how many of the weeks the activity
is
done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Thank you. Once again Biff deserves the credit for this one - I learnt this
from him

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"debl" wrote in message
I am trying to count items in a spreadsheet using the following formula
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A3:A83,A3:A83)0,1)) when I filter the amount comes
up
the
same--how can I incorporate the subtotal function in here to get a
proper
number. The data in the range is week numbers that correspond with
activities
performed each day. I need to filter how many of the weeks the activity
is
done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A3:A83,A3:A83)0,1))

That formula will count unique numbers.

Try this array formula** :

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(2,OFFSET(A3,ROW(A3:A 83)-ROW(A3),)),A3:A83),A3:A83),1))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key and the
SHIFT
key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff