Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Validation Sum

Good afternoon,

Continuing with my spreadsheet (yay). I decided to modify it to SUM a row
based upon a value entered in another field. Here is the (general) scenario.

I have a group of people, who are either Team 1 or Team 2. Since they are
setup alphabetically across the spreadsheet, I do not have the Teams grouped
together.

In a separate cell next to each individual's name, I have a field (VC1 or
VC2, respectively).

I am not sure if I explained myself clearly, but any assistance would be
appreciated. Thank you.

I want to be able to SUM all of the VC1s and VC2s, example:

If D2 = VC1, then include B5 in the addition, if H2 = VC1, then include F5,
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You'll have to better explain/describe you setup.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Stacy C" wrote in message
Good afternoon,

Continuing with my spreadsheet (yay). I decided to modify it to SUM a row
based upon a value entered in another field. Here is the (general)
scenario.

I have a group of people, who are either Team 1 or Team 2. Since they are
setup alphabetically across the spreadsheet, I do not have the Teams
grouped
together.

In a separate cell next to each individual's name, I have a field (VC1 or
VC2, respectively).

I am not sure if I explained myself clearly, but any assistance would be
appreciated. Thank you.

I want to be able to SUM all of the VC1s and VC2s, example:

If D2 = VC1, then include B5 in the addition, if H2 = VC1, then include
F5,
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, sorry :)

The cell which defines which team each person is on is every fourth cell
beginning with D2, through EZ2 (each cell is either populated VC1 or VC2).

I would like to have the cell FO5 sum the row across, using this formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(C5:EZ5)-COLUMN(C5),4)=0),C5:EZ5)

However, I only want to SUM the cells for persons who are in VC1 (i.e. - the
1st team).

If you need further clarification, please let me know.

Thank you so much.

"Stacy C" wrote in message
Good afternoon,

Continuing with my spreadsheet (yay). I decided to modify it to SUM a row
based upon a value entered in another field. Here is the (general)
scenario.

I have a group of people, who are either Team 1 or Team 2. Since they are
setup alphabetically across the spreadsheet, I do not have the Teams
grouped
together.

In a separate cell next to each individual's name, I have a field (VC1 or
VC2, respectively).

I am not sure if I explained myself clearly, but any assistance would be
appreciated. Thank you.

I want to be able to SUM all of the VC1s and VC2s, example:

If D2 = VC1, then include B5 in the addition, if H2 = VC1, then include
F5,
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If I understand your setup, try this:

=SUMIF(D2:EZ2,"VC1",C5:EY5)
=SUMIF(D2:EZ2,"VC2",C5:EY5)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Stacy C" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I do not think this will work, only because I need it to add every 4th cell
across the row, if d2:ez2,"vc(x)". My sheet is setup like this:

[ (text) ][ VC(x)][ (text)
][ VC(x) ]
[Value1][Value2][Value3][Value4][Value1][Value2][Value3][Value4]

(I apologize for the horrible "pictogram", but short of emailing the file I
am at a loss for the explanation)

so:

The first part makes sense, the SUMIF(D2:EZ2,"VC1"...)

However, I only need to add every 4th cell:

I tried combining the formula I linked below but it didn't work, so I am
sure that I am doing something wrong (which wouldn't surprise me - lol).

I thank you for your kind assistance up til now, and any future advice will
be appreciated.

"Stacy C" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you actually try the formula I suggested?

The range you want to sum if offset one column to the left of the range that
contains the team code so that's why there's an offset in ranges in the
formula.

Try this experiemnt...

In an empty sheet enter these values:

D2 = VC1
H2 = VC2

C5:G5 = 1,2,3,4,5

Enter these formulas:

A1: =SUMIF(D2:H2,"VC1",C5:G5)
A2: =SUMIF(D2:H2,"VC2",C5:G5)

The results will be 1 and 5 which are correct.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Stacy C" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That works just fine, but I also want to be able to SUM the other cells. Each
column represents a different criteria used to derive a total. Consequently,
I need to be able to derive each column independently.

Maybe I need to further define the criteria? If it equals "VC1" and also
"Sales", then C5:EZ5?

"Stacy C" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, now I'm totally lost!

Not much I can suggest without seeing this in front me.

If your file isn't too big (but it sounds like it is) you can upload a copy
to a free file host. Then you can post a link to the file so that anyone so
inclined can download the file and see what it is you're trying to do.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP