Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Searching several items from one document to another

Can't seem to find what I'm looking for, and I'm not too savy at this
program, so what I'm trying to do is this...

I have 2 documents, one is a database of values (UPC codes) and the other
document is another list of codes. I'm trying to find out what codes are on
both documents (I actually need to know which ones aren't on the second
document). It's several thousand items, and so far, the only way I've been
able to do it is to highlight a value, copy and paste it into the 'find'
tool, and then toggle to the other document and hit search. It's taking
forever and it seems like there should be a much easier way to do this.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Go to Chip Pearson's web site,
scroll down to the D's,
and check out his pages on duplicates:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/topic.aspx

--

HTH,

RD

"REBANEEDSTOKNOW" wrote in
message ...
Can't seem to find what I'm looking for, and I'm not too savy at this
program, so what I'm trying to do is this...

I have 2 documents, one is a database of values (UPC codes) and the other
document is another list of codes. I'm trying to find out what codes are on
both documents (I actually need to know which ones aren't on the second
document). It's several thousand items, and so far, the only way I've been
able to do it is to highlight a value, copy and paste it into the 'find'
tool, and then toggle to the other document and hit search. It's taking
forever and it seems like there should be a much easier way to do this.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

One solution would be to use conditional formatting, here is an example of
that. Suppose one file is named Book1 and the other Book2:

Here is an example of applying conditional formatting between workbooks:

1. In the one workbook (Book1 here) name the range containing the codes,
here I named it Data. (highlight the range and choose Insert, Name, Define,
type Data into the Names in workbook box and click OK).
2. Move to the other workbook (Book2) and choose Insert, Name, Define, and
type OtherFileData in the Names in workbook. On the Refers to line type
=Book1!Data
3. Select the range where your codes are, say A1:A100, and choose Format,
Conditional Formatting, choose Formula is from the first drop down, and in
the second box enter =OR(A1=OtherFileData), pick Format and choose what you
want. Click OK twice.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"REBANEEDSTOKNOW" wrote:

Can't seem to find what I'm looking for, and I'm not too savy at this
program, so what I'm trying to do is this...

I have 2 documents, one is a database of values (UPC codes) and the other
document is another list of codes. I'm trying to find out what codes are on
both documents (I actually need to know which ones aren't on the second
document). It's several thousand items, and so far, the only way I've been
able to do it is to highlight a value, copy and paste it into the 'find'
tool, and then toggle to the other document and hit search. It's taking
forever and it seems like there should be a much easier way to do this.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

FYI - if your filename is more complex you may need single quotes, for example,

='10-21-2008.xls'!Data

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire