Old July 21st 09, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Looking for BOOLEAN ALGEBRA functions (specifically XOR)

I am looking for BOOLEAN Algebra Functions. Can't find any help in EXCEL.
While I can work around the OR, AND, and NOT, I need XOR.

Old July 21st 09, 07:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Excel doesn't have it but you can write your own quite simply

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:B1,"Some Value")=1,TRUE,FALSE)

Mike

Old July 21st 09, 07:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Old July 21st 09, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rick,

Can be abbreviated to:-

=(A1<0)+(B1<0)=1

and it also works if both cells are blank.

Mike

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Old July 21st 09, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah, yes... very good. And I guess that could be written this way as well...

=NOT(A1)+NOT(B1)=1

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Mike H" wrote in message
Rick,

Can be abbreviated to:-

=(A1<0)+(B1<0)=1

and it also works if both cells are blank.

Mike

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Old July 21st 09, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes it could and until Excel include

=XOR(A1,B1) then they are as short as it gets.

Mike

"Mike H" wrote in message
Rick,

Can be abbreviated to:-

=(A1<0)+(B1<0)=1

and it also works if both cells are blank.

Mike

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Old July 21st 09, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Rick Rothstein" wrote...
Ah, yes... very good. And I guess that could be written this way as well...

=NOT(A1)+NOT(B1)=1

If A1 and B1 would always be 1s or 0s, even shorter:

=MOD(A1+B1,2)
Old July 21st 09, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah, yes... very good. And I guess that could be written this way as
well...

=NOT(A1)+NOT(B1)=1

If A1 and B1 would always be 1s or 0s, even shorter:

=MOD(A1+B1,2)

Provided the user didn't need to see the result of the operation as
TRUE/FALSE, of course.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Old July 22nd 09, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

An XOR could operate on any number of binary bits.
An odd parity checker would XOR all given bits,
thus checking for an odd number of bits in a word:
=MOD(1+MOD(HEX2BIN("AE")-1,9),2)
I vote for Harlan's formulas, having lifted them from
his post dated Jun 16, 2003.
Old July 22nd 09, 05:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

... until Excel include =XOR(A1,B1)

It's included as an Excel vba function.
I have no idea why it's not included as a Worksheet function.

b = a Xor b

= = = =
Dana DeLouis

"Mike H" wrote in message
Rick,

Can be abbreviated to:-

=(A1<0)+(B1<0)=1

and it also works if both cells are blank.

Mike

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))