Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I automatically select a Excel record randomly?

Hello,
I have an Excel file / database of students who have taken an examination. I
would like to automatically and randomly select one student from those with
an examination score of 85% or higher. I don't know how to write the formula
for this. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming student names in column A, Score in column B, header in row 1

In C2: =INDEX(A2:A9,MATCH(RANDBETWEEN(85,100)/100,B2:B9))

Adjust range to suit

"Italian1" wrote:

Hello,
I have an Excel file / database of students who have taken an examination. I
would like to automatically and randomly select one student from those with
an examination score of 85% or higher. I don't know how to write the formula
for this. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Teethless mama,

I've tried your formula repeatedly but I am only getting #NA as a result.
When I step thru the calculation steps, I am only seeing the calculations for
scores that are not listed in the DB compared to 100 which returns #NA.

I'm afraid I am not good enought just yet to figure this one out. Is there
any more or other help you can provide at this time?

In any event, thanks a whole lot.