Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Combining Lookup function and Sum function

I am trying to use the lookup function to find all values in a spreadsheet
matching "D" then returning the value to the left of it. I would like the
function to sum all the values before it is returned. Is this possible to do
in one step?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cameron wrote:
I am trying to use the lookup function to find all values in a spreadsheet
matching "D" then returning the value to the left of it. I would like the
function to sum all the values before it is returned. Is this possible to do
in one step?

Not with [V][H]LOOKUP; no, it is not possible. These formulas can only
return one value from at most one match.

If you want to sum over a range with one criterion, use SUMIF.

E.g., if the "D"s are in column B,
=SUMIF(B:B,"D",A:A)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is this what you had in mind: