Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Min Date againsts unique customer list

I have an initial customer list A2:A1000 and the Dates each customer called
in with a question B2:B1000

from that list I have created (using advanced filtering) a unique List
(G2:G100)

A2:A1000 are of course not all unique customers, as the same customer could
of called in any number of times through the year.

However using my Unique list (G2: G100) I would like to get the first date
in which this customer called and nothing more and display it in the cells
H2:H100

I am using excel2007 but it needs to be backward compatible with 2003.

Any suggestions

--
Nelson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the dates are in ascending order you could use VLOOKUP
VLOOKUP(G2,$A$2:$B$1000,2,FALSE)
since it will return the first match it finds

Otherwise
=MIN(IF($A$2:$A$10=G2,$B$2:$B$10))
this is an array fromula and must tbe entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER not just
ENTER
Once you have it in H2 you can copy it normally down the column

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nelson" wrote in message
I have an initial customer list A2:A1000 and the Dates each customer
called
in with a question B2:B1000

from that list I have created (using advanced filtering) a unique List
(G2:G100)

A2:A1000 are of course not all unique customers, as the same customer
could
of called in any number of times through the year.

However using my Unique list (G2: G100) I would like to get the first date
in which this customer called and nothing more and display it in the cells
H2:H100

I am using excel2007 but it needs to be backward compatible with 2003.

Any suggestions

--
Nelson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:20:01 -0700, Nelson
wrote:

I have an initial customer list A2:A1000 and the Dates each customer called
in with a question B2:B1000

from that list I have created (using advanced filtering) a unique List
(G2:G100)

A2:A1000 are of course not all unique customers, as the same customer could
of called in any number of times through the year.

However using my Unique list (G2: G100) I would like to get the first date
in which this customer called and nothing more and display it in the cells
H2:H100

I am using excel2007 but it needs to be backward compatible with 2003.

Any suggestions

If the dates in column B are sorted (ascending) then you may try this
in cell H2:

=VLOOKUP(G2,A$2:B$1000,2,FALSE)
Copy down to cell H100

If the dates in column B are not sorted then you may try this in cell
H2:

=MIN(IF(A$2:A$1000=G2,B$2:B$1000))
Copy down to cell H100.
Note: This is an array formula that has to be confirmed by
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke