Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default paste special not working

Hello
In a column I entered dates like 09/27/1958. I then formatted it using mmmm
to get month name. In next col. I wanted the month names and hence I copied
the full column of dates, clicked on next column, from paste special I chose
values, but again it result as "09/27/1958". what wrong am I doing?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Value in a date cell is a number representing the date, it remains the same
number when pasted.
Use
=TEXT(A1,"mmmm")
in the result cell to get month name!