Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Wat formula shuld i use to find the details in the cell?

Hi, I'm currently stucked in my assignment, coz i need 2 do smtg like this.
Currently I have a cell is General Manager, so I need to use a formula to
find out manager can hav 15% deducted, so wat formula can I use?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I can see that clearly English isn't your first language and as a result I'm
struggling to understand your quastion! Perhaps you could try again to
explain a bit more clearly and in particular what you decreasing by 15% and
what you have already tried.

Mike

"Cloud Strife" wrote:

Hi, I'm currently stucked in my assignment, coz i need 2 do smtg like this.
Currently I have a cell is General Manager, so I need to use a formula to
find out manager can hav 15% deducted, so wat formula can I use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah, exactly, english is not my first language. Ok, I try to explain it more
detail there is a cell I've inserted General Manager for the job title, so
there is other low rank employee as well that are not Manager, so to the
manager who have take loan will deduct 15% and for those that are not manager
will deduct 5%, so now I need to do is, whether which cell got Manager this
word, will automatically deduct 15%, I've tried something like this,
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",C2,0),True statement,false statement)

C2 = General Manager

I've tried use this formula, but end up they only use the true statement,
for those that are not manager also using true statement. So any answer for
this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",C2)),TRUE,FALSE)
OR
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",C2)),5,15)%

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cloud Strife" wrote:

Yeah, exactly, english is not my first language. Ok, I try to explain it more
detail there is a cell I've inserted General Manager for the job title, so
there is other low rank employee as well that are not Manager, so to the
manager who have take loan will deduct 15% and for those that are not manager
will deduct 5%, so now I need to do is, whether which cell got Manager this
word, will automatically deduct 15%, I've tried something like this,
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",C2,0),True statement,false statement)

C2 = General Manager

I've tried use this formula, but end up they only use the true statement,
for those that are not manager also using true statement. So any answer for
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Use Search and not find because the latter is case sensitive and 'could give
problems. Try this, if the string Manager is found in C2 it multiplies C3 by
0.85

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Manager",C2,1)),"",C3*0.85)

Mike

"Cloud Strife" wrote:

Yeah, exactly, english is not my first language. Ok, I try to explain it more
detail there is a cell I've inserted General Manager for the job title, so
there is other low rank employee as well that are not Manager, so to the
manager who have take loan will deduct 15% and for those that are not manager
will deduct 5%, so now I need to do is, whether which cell got Manager this
word, will automatically deduct 15%, I've tried something like this,
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",C2,0),True statement,false statement)

C2 = General Manager

I've tried use this formula, but end up they only use the true statement,
for those that are not manager also using true statement. So any answer for
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Now, everything in false statement...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The below should work but as Mike mentioned it is case sensitive. You can
also try the below

=IF(C2="","",IF(COUNTIF(C2,"*manager*"),15,5))

Mike, Sorry I just logged in to find this post unanswered. Since the time
zones are different couldnt identify that you were awaiting a response from
the OP...

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

Now, everything in false statement...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey, I tried =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Manager",C2,1)),True Statement, False
Statement, but end up still all True statement.

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Manager",C2,1)),"",C3*0.85)

and I don't get it this part ,"",C3*0.85)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

The formula I gave you will look for 'Manager' in C2 and if it finds it
multiply C3 * 0.85 which is the same as reducing by 15%. What do you want to
do if it finds the text and what do you want to do if it doesn't?

Mike

"Cloud Strife" wrote:

Hey, I tried =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Manager",C2,1)),True Statement, False
Statement, but end up still all True statement.

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Manager",C2,1)),"",C3*0.85)

and I don't get it this part ,"",C3*0.85)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

actually what I need is, to search whether in the job title whether there is
Manager or not, because if got manager i will put deduct 15% from his salary,
if not Manager it will use the false statement and the false statement will
be 5%. I need to do that, because there is a lot of employee, not all of them
is manager, so I need to do that, so when it search that in the job title
there is Manager word in it, it will use the True Statement, and if Manager
is not found in the job title it will use the false statement.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Should calculate and display the sum. Try formatting the cell to General and
edit (F2) and enter.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cloud Strife" wrote:

Yeah, exactly, english is not my first language. Ok, I try to explain it more
detail there is a cell I've inserted General Manager for the job title, so
there is other low rank employee as well that are not Manager, so to the
manager who have take loan will deduct 15% and for those that are not manager
will deduct 5%, so now I need to do is, whether which cell got Manager this
word, will automatically deduct 15%, I've tried something like this,
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",C2,0),True statement,false statement)

C2 = General Manager

I've tried use this formula, but end up they only use the true statement,
for those that are not manager also using true statement. So any answer for
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just let us know the results of the below test.

In C2 enter "General Manager". In C3 enter formula
=IF(C2="","",IF(COUNTIF(C2,"*manager*"),15,5))%

Now in C2 change that to "Receptionist" and check what is displayed in C3

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cloud Strife" wrote:

actually what I need is, to search whether in the job title whether there is
Manager or not, because if got manager i will put deduct 15% from his salary,
if not Manager it will use the false statement and the false statement will
be 5%. I need to do that, because there is a lot of employee, not all of them
is manager, so I need to do that, so when it search that in the job title
there is Manager word in it, it will use the True Statement, and if Manager
is not found in the job title it will use the false statement.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Should calculate and display the sum. Try formatting the cell to General and
edit (F2) and enter.

What you mean calculate and display the sum, but I need it in Currency...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What formula should I use to find the details in the cell?

In C2 enter "General Manager". In C3 enter formula
=IF(C2="","",IF(COUNTIF(C2,"*manager*"),15,5))%

Now in C2 change that to "Receptionist" and check what is displayed in C3.

I don't get it, the whole thing..

Anyway, I uploaded my sample to this link
http://two.xthost.info/cloudstrife/Sample.xlsx

I explain again what I want, based on the sample, I want to know whether
they are manager or not, so based on their job title, there will be something
like general manager and so on, so I want excel to detect whether the cell in
column a has manager this word, then it will use the 15% X the loan amount,
and if there is no manager word in the job title, it will use 5% X the loan
amount. This is what I need.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have not yet mentioned in which cell you have the loan amount. Assuming
the loan amount in B2 and designation in C2 try the below formula in D2

=B2*IF(C2="","",IF(COUNTIF(C2,"*manager*"),0.15,0. 05))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cloud Strife" wrote:

In C2 enter "General Manager". In C3 enter formula
=IF(C2="","",IF(COUNTIF(C2,"*manager*"),15,5))%

Now in C2 change that to "Receptionist" and check what is displayed in C3.

I don't get it, the whole thing..

Anyway, I uploaded my sample to this link
http://two.xthost.info/cloudstrife/Sample.xlsx

I explain again what I want, based on the sample, I want to know whether
they are manager or not, so based on their job title, there will be something
like general manager and so on, so I want excel to detect whether the cell in
column a has manager this word, then it will use the 15% X the loan amount,
and if there is no manager word in the job title, it will use 5% X the loan
amount. This is what I need.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cloud Strife wrote:
Nevermind, just skip that, straightly into this, that 1 is making people
confusing.

Anyway, I uploaded my sample to this link
http://two.xthost.info/cloudstrife/Sample.xlsx

I explain again what I want, based on the sample, I want to know whether
they are manager or not, so based on their job title, there will be something
like general manager and so on, so I want excel to detect whether the cell in
column a has manager this word, then it will use the 15% X the loan amount,
and if there is no manager word in the job title, it will use 5% X the loan
amount. This is what I need.

Put this in B2 and copy down to B13:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",A2)),C2*$F$2,C2*$F$3)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put this in B2 and copy down to B13:
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",A2)),C2*$F$2,C2*$F$3)

Yeah, I put this, but it came out opposite, i mean like the answer should be
in true statement, then it came out answer of false statement, and for the
false statement, it came out true statement, how come?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cloud Strife wrote:
Put this in B2 and copy down to B13:
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",A2)),C2*$F$2,C2*$F$3)

Yeah, I put this, but it came out opposite, i mean like the answer should be
in true statement, then it came out answer of false statement, and for the
false statement, it came out true statement, how come?

If that is the case, then just swap the two results. I only "corrected" your
existing formula, didn't check for the correct answer.

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",A2)),C2*$F$3,C2*$F$2)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah, I like to do that, but this is my assignment, lecturer will check our
formula whether it is correct or not, I tried this, I like to do like that
also, but it is not allowed.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I uploaded my sample to this link
http://two.xthost.info/cloudstrife/Sample.xlsx

What I want, based on the sample, I want to know whether
they are manager or not, so based on their job title, there will be something
like general manager and so on, so I want excel to detect whether the cell in
column a has manager this word, then it will use the 15% X the loan amount,
and if there is no manager word in the job title, it will use 5% X the loan
amount. This is what I need.

Hope there is some reply and got the answer as soon as possible. Thank You~
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cloud Strife wrote:
I uploaded my sample to this link
http://two.xthost.info/cloudstrife/Sample.xlsx

What I want, based on the sample, I want to know whether
they are manager or not, so based on their job title, there will be something
like general manager and so on, so I want excel to detect whether the cell in
column a has manager this word, then it will use the 15% X the loan amount,
and if there is no manager word in the job title, it will use 5% X the loan
amount. This is what I need.

Hope there is some reply and got the answer as soon as possible. Thank You~

My corrected formula from yesterday appears to be valid.

In your sample you have the following in B2:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND(Manager,A2,)),C2*$F$2,C2*$F$3)

You are missing the quote marks (") around Manager and have reversed the
results. Change B2 to this:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Manager",A2)),C2*$F$3,C2*$F$2)

Copy that formula down through B13.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried your method it worked out in my sample but it doesn't work out on my
actual workbook, I uploaded my actual workbook.

http://two.xthost.info/cloudstrife/Assignment.xls

I used the same method as your formula gave, but it came out all true
statement include those should be in false.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cloud Strife wrote:
I tried your method it worked out in my sample but it doesn't work out on my
actual workbook, I uploaded my actual workbook.

http://two.xthost.info/cloudstrife/Assignment.xls

I used the same method as your formula gave, but it came out all true
statement include those should be in false.

Try harder. You are making the same mistakes that I corrected previously.