Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Merged cells disturb autofilter indicator

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution.

Due to the layout of my worksheet, I created an autofilter header row where
one of the cells is merged from 4 cells. This causes the blue arrow, which
indicates which column is filtering, to be shifted 4 cells from the filtered
row.

For example, the merged cell is from cols H thru K. If I filter on column M,
the blue arrow is on column P. Is this a bug or can I get that blue arrow in
the correct place?
Or how can I have create an autofilter row with non-contiguous cells?

I have chosen this method because the top area above the filter row is a
complex layout but I needed a wide column in the table below the filter row
that was below a multi column table in the top area. BTW, the cells in wide
data area are not merged.

Thanks,
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I can't duplicate your problem, as I understand it, in 2003. what version
of Excel are you using?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"DocBrown" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm using Excel 2002 SP3. It's part of the Office XP version. I'll need to
try this on 2003 or newer and see if it still fails.

I have found a solution though. I did a Google search and found a solution
where I disable the dropdown on selected columns that I was merging. So,
instead of merging the header, I disable the dropdown on all those columns:

With ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range
..AutoFilter Field:=6, VisibleDropDown:=False
..AutoFilter Field:=7, VisibleDropDown:=False
..AutoFilter Field:=8, VisibleDropDown:=False
..AutoFilter Field:=9, VisibleDropDown:=False
End With

That wide field is a description field that the user shouldn't need to
filter on. Now I wonder if there's away to do this outside of VBA.

John