Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Specifying comparision criteria with SUMIF()

I am trying to create a sumif function that captures values where the
evaluation range is less than than a particular criteria. Excel Help provides
the following example.

Result = SUMIF(Evaluation Range,"<30",Sum Range)

This works well but rather than have a static value of 30, I wish to point
to a value in a cell ie

Result = SUMIF(Evaluation Range,"<[d1]",Sum Range)

where [d1] is a cell containing a value but I need to find the correct
specification so that the formula can be dynamic.

My scenario is actually a date comparision but once I can get a number
comparision to work I can move to the next stage.

Thanks in anticipation

--
Ken
"Started using Visicalc in 82"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMIF(C:C,"<" & E1,D:D)

OR

= SUMIF(Evaluation Range,"<" & A1,Sum Range)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"K_Macd" wrote:

I am trying to create a sumif function that captures values where the
evaluation range is less than than a particular criteria. Excel Help provides
the following example.

Result = SUMIF(Evaluation Range,"<30",Sum Range)

This works well but rather than have a static value of 30, I wish to point
to a value in a cell ie

Result = SUMIF(Evaluation Range,"<[d1]",Sum Range)

where [d1] is a cell containing a value but I need to find the correct
specification so that the formula can be dynamic.

My scenario is actually a date comparision but once I can get a number
comparision to work I can move to the next stage.

Thanks in anticipation

--
Ken
"Started using Visicalc in 82"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

If the range you are checking is the same as the one you want to sum then

=SUMIF(A:A,"<"&D1)

also you can use

=SUMIF(A:A,D1)

In which case you would enter <30 in D1. You can use this idea with the
original solution also

=SUMIF(A:A,D1,B:B)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire