Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default CountIf function on combo-box entries

We have a 2 column combo box (Active X) set up that shows a procedure code
along with its text name to help users with data entry.

Example:

725.1 Diabetes
546.2 Heart Disease

Would it be possible to do a count if function on the data so see how many
Diabetes cases? It doesn't look like one could filter this either.

Any ideas? My VBA skills are limited. Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could use some code, but maybe easier would be to assign a linkedcell (in a
separate column and hide the column -- or even on a separate (hidden??)
worksheet) to each of those comboboxes.

Then you can use =countif() against that range of linked cells.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I need to verify the steps that I would perform to link a cell to a combo
box... Users will still need to see the combo box so the linked cells
(column) would be hidden. Thanks!!!

Roxy wrote:

We have a 2 column combo box (Active X) set up that shows a procedure code
along with its text name to help users with data entry.

Example:

725.1 Diabetes
546.2 Heart Disease

Would it be possible to do a count if function on the data so see how many
Diabetes cases? It doesn't look like one could filter this either.

Any ideas? My VBA skills are limited. Thanks!!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Go into design mode (another icon on that control toolbox toolbar)
select a combobox (one at a time!)
Hit the Properties icon
look for linkedcell
type in the address you want to use.

Repeat for each combobox

click on the design mode icon to get back to normal.

Roxy wrote:

We have a 2 column combo box (Active X) set up that shows a procedure code
along with its text name to help users with data entry.

Example:

725.1 Diabetes
546.2 Heart Disease

Would it be possible to do a count if function on the data so see how many
Diabetes cases? It doesn't look like one could filter this either.

Any ideas? My VBA skills are limited. Thanks!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Is this combo box entering the data in a spreadsheet range?

If so and that range is A2:A100 you can use the following formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A$2:A$100)))

in this case you enter Diabeties in cell B1.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire