Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I group and display columns automatically?

I have 40 columns on a worksheet and many rows, and want to set up vertical
groupings i.e. group columns (A, D, G, J ....) together, and then (B, E, H,
K... together), and so on - final result is that all columns can be hidden
and each 'group' can be displayed on its own. I know that rows can be grouped
together using the 'Group' function but am not sure of columns. Does anyone
know if this can be done on Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can group columns just as you would group rows. Highlight the desired
columns, then go to Edit-Group-Group

BUT

You can't group separate columns together...

"faraz316" wrote:

I have 40 columns on a worksheet and many rows, and want to set up vertical
groupings i.e. group columns (A, D, G, J ....) together, and then (B, E, H,
K... together), and so on - final result is that all columns can be hidden
and each 'group' can be displayed on its own. I know that rows can be grouped
together using the 'Group' function but am not sure of columns. Does anyone
know if this can be done on Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

XL *only* allows grouping of contiguous rows and columns!

Also, each group must be separated from the next group, on the same level,
by a "summary / total" column or row.

As an excersise, select Columns A & B.
Then hold <Shift+<Alt and hit the <Right Arrow

Select Columns D & E, and do the same thing.

You'll see 2 groupings with the outline symbols over Columns C & F.

NOW, select G & H and group them, THEN, select I & J and group them.

You see how XL combines the two groups into a *single* group.

However, you can individually group single columns, placing them on the same
level.

Group A alone, then C, then E, and finally G.
They're all on the same level.

Now select A to H and group them.

This is as close as you can come to what I think you're looking to
accomplish.
--
HTH,

RD

say
"faraz316" wrote in message
I have 40 columns on a worksheet and many rows, and want to set up vertical
groupings i.e. group columns (A, D, G, J ....) together, and then (B, E,
H,
K... together), and so on - final result is that all columns can be hidden
and each 'group' can be displayed on its own. I know that rows can be
grouped
together using the 'Group' function but am not sure of columns. Does
anyone
know if this can be done on Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

faraz

This is the technique use; it may be useful to you.

For each verticle group you want, you create range name for an entire
row somewhere below your data. Put a value in the columns that are to
be part of the group, leve the rest blank. In a column that is always
visible, maybe one of your data columns, maybe a new column solely to
identify your row names. Then in the before double-click event for
the worksheet put in this code:

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel
As Boolean)

Dim S As String

S = ActiveCell.Value

Range(S).Select

Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Select
Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True

End Sub

You may not want to use the before double-click code to trigger it,
but, the basic idea is you have a row, with non blank values in the
columns you want for your group and the group name visible in a
column. You can add and modify groups by inserting range names for
complete rows without making any VBA changes; which is good if someone
else is adjusting the groups or making up new groups. You can display
the group by double clicking on the group name; or another trigger
action if you prefer.

Good luck

Ken
Nofolk, Va