Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default How can I group and display columns automatically?

XL *only* allows grouping of contiguous rows and columns!

Also, each group must be separated from the next group, on the same level,
by a "summary / total" column or row.

As an excersise, select Columns A & B.
Then hold <Shift+<Alt and hit the <Right Arrow

Select Columns D & E, and do the same thing.

You'll see 2 groupings with the outline symbols over Columns C & F.

NOW, select G & H and group them, THEN, select I & J and group them.

You see how XL combines the two groups into a *single* group.

However, you can individually group single columns, placing them on the same
level.

Group A alone, then C, then E, and finally G.
They're all on the same level.

Now select A to H and group them.

This is as close as you can come to what I think you're looking to
accomplish.
--
HTH,

RD

say
"faraz316" wrote in message
I have 40 columns on a worksheet and many rows, and want to set up vertical
groupings i.e. group columns (A, D, G, J ....) together, and then (B, E,
H,
K... together), and so on - final result is that all columns can be hidden
and each 'group' can be displayed on its own. I know that rows can be
grouped
together using the 'Group' function but am not sure of columns. Does
anyone
know if this can be done on Excel?