Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Too many characters in header

I am creating a template and the text that I want in the header is more than
255 characters. How do I create a header that has all the info that I want in
it?
--
Thanks
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Column width is 255 characters . However 1,024 characters can be displayed in
a cell. In edit mode (F2) enter line breaks (Alt+Enter) after every 100
characters and try..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Mike1558" wrote:

I am creating a template and the text that I want in the header is more than
255 characters. How do I create a header that has all the info that I want in
it?
--
Thanks
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I'm sure you mean the header in Page Setup - Yes you are limited to 255
characters. But you might be able to use a range in the spreadsheet as a
header by choose File, Page Setup, Sheet tab, and choosing Row to repeat at
top. In the spreadsheet you can display

2003:
Cells can contain 1024 characters in a formula
Cells can contain 32,767 text characters but only the first 1023 will be
visible (unless you use Alt Enter to force line breaks)

2007:
Cells can contain 8192 characters in formulas
Cells can contain 32,767 text characters in cells and all can be seen and
printed without needing to use Alt Enter.

A second alternative is to create your header in a graphic program or make a
graphic out of it and then put the graphic in the header. There is an Insert
Picture button in the Custom Header area.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Mike1558" wrote:

I am creating a template and the text that I want in the header is more than
255 characters. How do I create a header that has all the info that I want in
it?
--
Thanks
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your response. I am trying to create a template in 2007, I have
already created a header but I keep getting the "you have more than 255
characters" dialog box. I tried to do what you said and use a range of cells
to create a header but the problem that I am having now is that I can't
delete the header and I can't get the cells to move up or insert new cells.
My header is all text if that makes any difference.
Thanks again for your help.
--
Thanks
Mike

"Mike1558" wrote:

I am creating a template and the text that I want in the header is more than
255 characters. How do I create a header that has all the info that I want in
it?
--
Thanks
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Forget the header area - clear it of whatever is in it. True you can't
Delete it and move it up, but we don't want to do that, well at least that
not what I want to do.

Now in the first row (row 1) of the spreadsheet enter you header over the
columns you want to display it for. Since you are in page layout view, or so
it sounds like, you could merge all the cells on row 1 or the first page and
enter the text you want in the header there.

Next, on the Page Layout tab, click the quick launch button at the bottom
right corner of the Page Setup group. This will launch the page setup dialog
box, select the Sheet tab and in the box for Rows to repeat at top enter 1:1
or click anywhere on row 1.

Now do print preview and see what you get. All the pages below will use the
text on row 1 for a header type result. You can use as many rows as you want
and they don't have to be above the print area, but its more logical.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire