Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Return Value using If statement or Lookup?

I have column a1 thru a100 are pass/fail values, column b1 will return a
"fail" if any of the rows in column a1:a100 has a "fail" value. Do you have
a if statement I can use?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(Countif(A1:A100,"Fail")0,"Fail","")

--
NBVC

Where there is a will there are many ways.
'The Code Cage' (http;//www.thecodecage.com)
NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=109898

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your use of the phrase "pass/fail values", coupled with the fact you want to
report the word "fail" in another column, suggests to me there are numerical
values in Column A and that there is a certain value marking the point at
which an item is considered failed. However, you didn't tell us what value
marks a failure nor whether numbers higher or lower than it constitute a
failed item. Also, your use of the term "column b1" is confusing as b1 is a
cell, not a column. Given your omissions, I will make some assumptions and
then give you a formula for those assumption (you will have to modify it to
fit your actual conditions). Assuming 123 is the value marking where
failures occur and that numbers equal to or higher than this value are
considered as failed, and that you want the word "fail" in Column B next to
each failed value, then give this formula a try (put it in B1 and copy it
down)...

=IF(A1=123,"Fail","")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)