Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Return value based on another vlaue

I am trying to search a list of names (1200 names) for an exact match then
return back a department number. For instance if John Doe works in Dept. 10.
I want to type in "John Doe" on my list in tab 1 and the next cell with this
formulas will search the list of names and return "10". Please help! Thank
you!