-   -   Return value based on another vlaue (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/234460-return-value-based-another-vlaue.html)

Jesse

Return value based on another vlaue

I am trying to search a list of names (1200 names) for an exact match then
return back a department number. For instance if John Doe works in Dept. 10.
I want to type in "John Doe" on my list in tab 1 and the next cell with this
formulas will search the list of names and return "10". Please help! Thank
you!

Fred Smith[_4_]

Return value based on another vlaue

Look in help for Vlookup.