Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlook up problem

Hi,

I am trying to do a simple vlookup which i have used lots before but this is
this first time with using excel 2007 and something seems to be going wrong.

The vlookup I am using is as follows where i want to look at a list of
students names and pull across grades from another table where the names
match:

=vlookup(F4250,'[2008-09_Final_Results.xlsx]Overall_Results'!$S:$T,2,false)

This works ok on its own but when i drag the formula down the reference to
the F4250 stays the same.( So does the table it is looking at i.e. $S:$T
which is correct and with the use of the $ what i would expect). Can anyone
tell me how i can drag the fomula down so it picks up the next row. ie.
F4251, then F4522 etc as i dont understand why its not doing it when it would
have in excel 2003.

I have checked my tools optionscalculations to make sure the automatic
calculations is ticked (which it is) as I understand if 'manual' is checked
it may not work.

Any help greatly receieved as desperately need to get moving and dont want
to have to change each one manually!!!

Thanks Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Symptoms are as if your formula is text. Are you seeing a result or are you
seeing the formula? Check the format of the cell -- if it's text, change it
to General (or non-text, anyway) and try the filldown again.
HTH

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks very much Bob,

I am seeing the formula and then need to press F2 and F9 for it to change to
the result so I am guessing the format is text (I am not at work now so cant
check till tomorrow now)? So if I change to general should the result show
rather than the text?

Thanks again

"Bob Umlas" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Change to General then you must F2 and ENTER each formula.

With many formulas you could delete all but one, re-enter it then simply
copy/drag again.

Or editreplace

what: =

with: =