Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formulas refuse to update

I am using Excel 2003. I type in a simple formula and all I get is the text
(i.e. =sum(D2:D43)) that I typed in, not the value. I have tried using F9
and Tools - Options - Calculate (it is set to Automatic). I have tried
copying the data to a blank worksheet. Nothing works.

The data was originally downloaded into an XML format, which I then saved as
..xls. This has happened every time I use data in this format.

Anyone else found a way to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If both the cell and the formula bar display only the formula, then the
formula was entered as Text:

1. clear the cell
2. re-type the formula
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200856

"spartina_patens" wrote:

I am using Excel 2003. I type in a simple formula and all I get is the text
(i.e. =sum(D2:D43)) that I typed in, not the value. I have tried using F9
and Tools - Options - Calculate (it is set to Automatic). I have tried
copying the data to a blank worksheet. Nothing works.

The data was originally downloaded into an XML format, which I then saved as
.xls. This has happened every time I use data in this format.

Anyone else found a way to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Clear the cell, make sure that the cell format is Not "Text" then re-enter
the formula.
Regards
Dave

"spartina_patens" wrote in
message ...
I am using Excel 2003. I type in a simple formula and all I get is the
text
(i.e. =sum(D2:D43)) that I typed in, not the value. I have tried using F9
and Tools - Options - Calculate (it is set to Automatic). I have tried
copying the data to a blank worksheet. Nothing works.

The data was originally downloaded into an XML format, which I then saved
as
.xls. This has happened every time I use data in this format.

Anyone else found a way to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

1. The sheet could be a Macro sheet not a spreadsheet. This happens when
one uses the shortcut key Ctrl+F11 not Shift+F11 to add a sheet.
2. If the cell is preformatted as Text. Press Ctrl+Shift+! to convert the
cell to Number and then reenter the formula.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"spartina_patens" wrote:

I am using Excel 2003. I type in a simple formula and all I get is the text
(i.e. =sum(D2:D43)) that I typed in, not the value. I have tried using F9
and Tools - Options - Calculate (it is set to Automatic). I have tried
copying the data to a blank worksheet. Nothing works.

The data was originally downloaded into an XML format, which I then saved as
.xls. This has happened every time I use data in this format.

Anyone else found a way to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Make sure the cell is formatted as General before entering the
formula. You might have to re-enter the formula after changing the
format.

HTH,
JP

On Jun 15, 9:17*am, spartina_patens
wrote:
I am using Excel 2003. *I type in a simple formula and all I get is the text
(i.e. =sum(D2:D43)) that I typed in, not the value. *I have tried using F9
and Tools - Options - Calculate (it is set to Automatic). I have tried
copying the data to a blank worksheet. *Nothing works.

The data was originally downloaded into an XML format, which I then saved as
.xls. This has happened every time I use data in this format.

Anyone else found a way to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Firstly: Tools/ Options/ View and make sure that "Formulas" is not checked.

If that is OK, my guess is that you have the cell formatted as text. Set
the cell format to General or Number, then re-enter the formula (either
retype, or F2 and enter).
--
David Biddulph

"spartina_patens" wrote in
message ...
I am using Excel 2003. I type in a simple formula and all I get is the
text
(i.e. =sum(D2:D43)) that I typed in, not the value. I have tried using F9
and Tools - Options - Calculate (it is set to Automatic). I have tried
copying the data to a blank worksheet. Nothing works.

The data was originally downloaded into an XML format, which I then saved
as
.xls. This has happened every time I use data in this format.

Anyone else found a way to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Good point, you can also press Ctrl-` to toggle that feature.

--JP

On Jun 15, 10:15*am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Firstly: Tools/ Options/ View and make sure that "Formulas" is not checked.

If that is OK, my guess is that you have the cell formatted as text. *Set
the cell format to General or Number, then re-enter the formula (either
retype, or F2 and enter).
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shane,

I admit I had not heard/seen this before. What exactly is a macro sheet
and/or what is it's purpose? Hoping you have a nice explaination, or a handy
link.

Thanks!
--
Best Regards,