Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I change date format m/d/yyyy to mmddyyyy toremove the dash

What is the formula to change the date format from m/d/yyyy to mmddyyyy to
remove the dashes and have 2 digits for month, 2 digits for day and 4 digits
for year?

I tried left, mid and right formula but wasn't successful. I think the
commas and parenthesis weren't in the right place.

What is the CORRECT LEFT, MID, RIGHT formula?

From the example 10/8/1967, I tried just the left formula =LEFT(T2,2) and
the outcome was 24, not 10.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Cynthia
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the date in cell A1 is in date format try the below

=TEXT(A1,"mmddyyyy")

but this will be text format.....

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"CyndiR" wrote:

What is the formula to change the date format from m/d/yyyy to mmddyyyy to
remove the dashes and have 2 digits for month, 2 digits for day and 4 digits
for year?

I tried left, mid and right formula but wasn't successful. I think the
commas and parenthesis weren't in the right place.

What is the CORRECT LEFT, MID, RIGHT formula?

From the example 10/8/1967, I tried just the left formula =LEFT(T2,2) and
the outcome was 24, not 10.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Cynthia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As Jacob indicated, using a formula to change the "format" (actually, it is
changing the value completely) yields a text value AND, because the value is
changed, the result of the formula will no longer be a real date (even if
you convert the text to a number). What about not using a formula and just
change the display format of the original cell. You can do that by selecting
the cell (or cells if more than one date has to be reformatted), clicking
Format/Cells on the menu bar, selecting Custom from the Category list and
putting mmddyyyy into the Type field. This will keep your date as a date,
but display it the way you want it to look.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"CyndiR" wrote in message
What is the formula to change the date format from m/d/yyyy to mmddyyyy to
remove the dashes and have 2 digits for month, 2 digits for day and 4
digits
for year?

I tried left, mid and right formula but wasn't successful. I think the
commas and parenthesis weren't in the right place.

What is the CORRECT LEFT, MID, RIGHT formula?

From the example 10/8/1967, I tried just the left formula =LEFT(T2,2) and
the outcome was 24, not 10.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Cynthia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The reason you get 24 from your LEFT formula is that 10/8/1967 is
represented as 24753 (the number of days from the start of 1900).
You'd need to use TEXT(T2,"mmddyyyy") as others have suggested.
--
David Biddulph

"CyndiR" wrote in message
What is the formula to change the date format from m/d/yyyy to mmddyyyy to
remove the dashes and have 2 digits for month, 2 digits for day and 4
digits
for year?

I tried left, mid and right formula but wasn't successful. I think the
commas and parenthesis weren't in the right place.

What is the CORRECT LEFT, MID, RIGHT formula?

From the example 10/8/1967, I tried just the left formula =LEFT(T2,2) and
the outcome was 24, not 10.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,