Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
M.M M.M is offline

Default Factorial question

An example of what Im trying to do:

Four cells in the same column A1:A4 with values 1,2,3,4 respectively.

Assuming that the value of A4 factorial, so A4!, would be A4*A3*A2*A1, then
the function I am trying to insert would be A4!*A3!*A2!*A1!.

I want it to be, however, so there is an input cell where I can insert the
number of cell's I want included, which in this case was 4.

While this is relatively simple if there are just 4 cells involved,
ultimately I will be using up to 100 cells. As yet I have not been able to
produce an appropriate function to do this, and am not even sure if Excel is
able to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
why not use the FACT function ? ( =FACT(cell_ref))

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=104444

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 04:03:02 -0700, M.M wrote:

An example of what Im trying to do:

Four cells in the same column A1:A4 with values 1,2,3,4 respectively.

Assuming that the value of A4 factorial, so A4!, would be A4*A3*A2*A1, then
the function I am trying to insert would be A4!*A3!*A2!*A1!.

I want it to be, however, so there is an input cell where I can insert the
number of cell's I want included, which in this case was 4.

While this is relatively simple if there are just 4 cells involved,
ultimately I will be using up to 100 cells. As yet I have not been able to
produce an appropriate function to do this, and am not even sure if Excel is
able to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Will not the FACT worksheetfunction do what you require?
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The FACT worksheet function is useful to find A4!, but I then want to add it
by the factorial of every cell before it i.e A3!+A2!+A1!. Sorry I made a
mistake in my original post, I want to add the factorials of each cell, not
multiply them. So ultimately I would want A4!+A3!+A2!+A1!. Mathematically I
want a Sigma Notation of FACT(AN), with N being the number of cells. Please
advise if sigma notations, or any alternative way I can solve this, are
possible in excel.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 04:03:02 -0700, M.M wrote:

An example of what Im trying to do:

Four cells in the same column A1:A4 with values 1,2,3,4 respectively.

Assuming that the value of A4 factorial, so A4!, would be A4*A3*A2*A1, then
the function I am trying to insert would be A4!*A3!*A2!*A1!.

I want it to be, however, so there is an input cell where I can insert the
number of cell's I want included, which in this case was 4.

While this is relatively simple if there are just 4 cells involved,
ultimately I will be using up to 100 cells. As yet I have not been able to
produce an appropriate function to do this, and am not even sure if Excel is
able to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Will not the FACT worksheetfunction do what you require?
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

MM.

Array enter (enter using Ctrl-shift-Enter)

=SUM(FACT(ROW(A1:AXXX)))
like
=SUM(FACT(ROW(A1:A4)))

Replace XXX with N.....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 04:03:02 -0700, M.M wrote:

An example of what Im trying to do:

Four cells in the same column A1:A4 with values 1,2,3,4 respectively.

Assuming that the value of A4 factorial, so A4!, would be A4*A3*A2*A1, then
the function I am trying to insert would be A4!*A3!*A2!*A1!.

I want it to be, however, so there is an input cell where I can insert the
number of cell's I want included, which in this case was 4.

While this is relatively simple if there are just 4 cells involved,
ultimately I will be using up to 100 cells. As yet I have not been able to
produce an appropriate function to do this, and am not even sure if Excel is
able to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Will not the FACT worksheetfunction do what you require?
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:30:00 -0700, M.M wrote:

The FACT worksheet function is useful to find A4!, but I then want to add it
by the factorial of every cell before it i.e A3!+A2!+A1!. Sorry I made a
mistake in my original post, I want to add the factorials of each cell, not
multiply them. So ultimately I would want A4!+A3!+A2!+A1!. Mathematically I
want a Sigma Notation of FACT(AN), with N being the number of cells. Please
advise if sigma notations, or any alternative way I can solve this, are
possible in excel.

Given n=2:

This formula must be **array-entered**:

=SUM(FACT(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&n))))

To **array-enter** a formula, after entering
the formula into the cell or formula bar, hold down
<ctrl<shift while hitting <enter. If you did this
correctly, Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.
--ron