Phil

Default Creating "factorial" result from three lists...

We want to create fictional character names for a children's project,
and have selected 30 first names, 30 last names, and want to include 26

(a-z) middle initials. Therefore there are 30x30x26 = 23,400 possible
unique names in the format of "First MI Last" such as "James B. Happy"
that we wish to create and print a few hundred at a time onto paper
dolls.

(We have 30 other first names for females, and can just do the required

operation twice, so please ignore that complicating factor)

Question is how can we take these three fields of 26, 30 and 30 records

each, in either Excel 2000 or Access 2000 and end up with the 23400
names in a single field or comma delimited form.

Our futile attempt yesterday had us researching combing "strings" and
"concatenation" and "factorial functions"- and we couldnt figure it
out.

Do we start with one table with three fields, or three tables with one
field each. Where do we input the required function? Thanks.

Bernard Liengme

This has been answered many times so:
Use Goggle's Newsgroup search; In advanced specify *excel* (with the *s) as
the newsgroup and combinations as the subject.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Jim Cone

Phil,

With only three sets of date, it is pretty simple.
Fill in your names in columns B, C and D starting in row one.
Run the following code...
'---------------------------------------------------
Sub CreateNewNames()
'Creates a single list that combines the values in three separate lists.
'Jim Cone - San Francisco, USA - Feb 25, 2005

Dim rngFirst As Excel.Range
Dim rngSecond As Excel.Range
Dim rngThird As Excel.Range
Dim rngF As Excel.Range
Dim rngS As Excel.Range
Dim rngT As Excel.Range
Dim lngRow As Long
Const strSpace As String = " "

lngRow = 1
Set rngFirst = Range("B1:B30")
Set rngSecond = Range("C1:C26")
Set rngThird = Range("D1:D30")

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each rngF In rngFirst
For Each rngS In rngSecond
For Each rngT In rngThird
Cells(lngRow, 6).Value = rngF.Value & strSpace & rngS.Value & _
strSpace & rngT.Value
lngRow = lngRow + 1
Next 'rngT
Next 'rngS
Next 'rngF
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Set rngFirst = Nothing
Set rngSecond = Nothing
Set rngThird = Nothing
End Sub

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Phil

Thanks. Jim.

Bernard, sometimes coming up with the search term is the hard
part..."combinations" does come up with useful results.