Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Countif left and alphanumberical data

I'm wanted to build a formula that will do the following,

CountIF(Column begins with array) I can't see to get the function to work.

Reallife example

Count a column of postcodes to find any postcodes beginning with EH, LG,
etc... and giving me a total
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try the below which will get you the count of postcodes starting with EH

=COUNTIF(A:A,"EH*")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Onyx" wrote:

I'm wanted to build a formula that will do the following,

CountIF(Column begins with array) I can't see to get the function to work.

Reallife example

Count a column of postcodes to find any postcodes beginning with EH, LG,
etc... and giving me a total

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With you list in C1:C10 the below will count the entries in A:a100 for which
the first two characters are in the list

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(LEFT(A1:A100,2),C1:C10,0))))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Onyx" wrote:

I'm wanted to build a formula that will do the following,

CountIF(Column begins with array) I can't see to get the function to work.

Reallife example

Count a column of postcodes to find any postcodes beginning with EH, LG,
etc... and giving me a total

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 03:26:01 -0700, Onyx wrote:

I'm wanted to build a formula that will do the following,

CountIF(Column begins with array) I can't see to get the function to work.

Reallife example

Count a column of postcodes to find any postcodes beginning with EH, LG,
etc... and giving me a total

If there are no blanks, you could use this formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(PostCodes,PostCodeList&"*"))

where PostCodes is the range where you have your column of postcodes, and
PostCodeList is the list of specific codes you wish to count.
--ron