jrandall

Default Is there a way to import a pdf file in to Excel

I am trying to copy a pdf file (a list of addresses) into Excel so I an use
the data in Access. When I copy it the information for each row it appears
in one cell, and because it the spacing is different in each row you can't
use text to columuns to seperate the data. Does anyone know how I can copy
the informnation from the pdf file and have the information go in to
different cell?
arno

google for "pdftoexcel".

However, what you should do first is to ask for an excel file
containing what you need. If someone was able to send to you the info
as pdf then there must be the same info as excel-file, word-file or
whatever available. Whenever you communicate with somebody about
delivering data, always ask for data in an excel file, access mdb,
textfile (comma separated...) or whatever file that can be used as a
_database_ and never accept something (stupid) like pdf which is as
valueable as a fax. Work smarter not harder!

arno

Harlan Grove

"arno" wrote...
However, what you should do first is to ask for an excel file
containing what you need. If someone was able to send to you the info
as pdf then there must be the same info as excel-file, word-file or
whatever available. Whenever you communicate with somebody about
delivering data, always ask for data in an excel file, access mdb,
textfile (comma separated...) or whatever file that can be used as a
_database_ and never accept something (stupid) like pdf which is as
valueable as a fax. Work smarter not harder!

In many situations, only PDF files are distributed because they can't be
changed, either inadvertently or intentionally, without considerable effort.
XLS files, on the other hand, can be changed easily because Excel provides
only laughably weak worksheet and workbook security.

Internally, I agree that XLS files or some other more usable format should
be distributed. However, for outside parties it's often if not usually the
case that PDFs make more sense due to the relatively stronger document
security features.

That said, unless the PDF file contains scanned images, it's possible to use
public domain tools to convert the PDF file into PostScript, and PostScript
into plain text. There's even a straight PDF-to-plain-text converted (or
was) on Simtel. It helps to know scripting languages to deal with the plain
text output.

arno

Hi Harlan,

In many situations, only PDF files are distributed because they can't
be changed

I am sorry, but this is definetly bull...

pdf means nothing else than I decide to manipulate the data when
transferring it to excel OR manipulating it because I have to find dumb
workarounds to import the data OR I make errors when importing. If one
produces pdf he is to dumb to produce simple and clear datafiles that
can easily be read by any software. This is something for "experts" not
for anyone who does not know more than printing to a pdf-printer.

If you want to transfer data then transfer data, if you want to send a
fax then send a fax. If you want to receive data then ask for data,
there's always a way.

regards

arno

Harlan Grove

"arno" wrote...
In many situations, only PDF files are distributed because they can't
be changed

I am sorry, but this is definetly bull...

pdf means nothing else than I decide to manipulate the data when
transferring it to excel OR manipulating it because I have to find dumb
workarounds to import the data OR I make errors when importing. If one
produces pdf he is to dumb to produce simple and clear datafiles that
can easily be read by any software. This is something for "experts" not
for anyone who does not know more than printing to a pdf-printer.

You don't understand.

PDFs and similar formats are distributed because they're much more difficult
to alter than XLS files or other file formats designed to accomodate
frequent changes. The goal is *PREVENTING* *CHANGES* *TO* *THE* FILES*. It's
child's play to change XLS files. It's much more difficult to change PDF
files.

It would seem you're unfamiliar with the wonderful world of electronic data
sharing between contractual parties in common law jurisdictions, where the
main goal is *AVOIDING* arguments over which copies of given files are
*ORIGINAL*. PDF files make that MUCH EASIER than most other file formats.

If you want to transfer data then transfer data, if you want to send a
fax then send a fax. If you want to receive data then ask for data,
there's always a way.

Since you don't know what you're talking about (since there are millions
more Acrobat users than people who take you seriously), rant on, dude!

arno

Hi Harlan,

You don't understand.

Pls. read the question of jrandall again. We are talking about
transferring _d_a_t_a_ and not about _documents_.

It's child's play to change XLS files. It's much more
difficult to change PDF files.

I hope, you do not really believe this.

It would seem you're unfamiliar with the wonderful world of
electronic data sharing

You're right. I never shared production data, invoice data, guarantee
data, orders, automatic ftp up and downloands, customs declarations,
olap data, edifakt, normed invoicing for building industries,
governmental statistics...

regards

arno

Harlan Grove

"arno" wrote...
Pls. read the question of jrandall again. We are talking about
transferring _d_a_t_a_ and not about _documents_.

It's addresses, and the OP has already pasted them into Excel. All s/he
really needs is parsing help. The OP should provide a sampling of addresses.
It may be easier than s/he thinks to parse them. And given that the data is
just addresses, there's no guarantee that the original data file may be any
easier to parse.

It's child's play to change XLS files. It's much more
difficult to change PDF files.

I hope, you do not really believe this.

If you have the tools (e.g., latest version of GhostScript), then it's not
too difficult to modify PDFs files. However, given the standard set of
business applications on a Windows PC, nearly all business users wouldn't be
able to modify PDF files without corrupting them.

Other than DEBUG.COM and coding ad hoc programs in VBScript or VJScript, I
can't think of any approved software on my work PC that could modify PDF
files. How would you go about doing it so that the resulting file is a
working PDF file?

It would seem you're unfamiliar with the wonderful world of
electronic data sharing

You're right. I never shared production data, invoice data, guarantee
data, orders, automatic ftp up and downloands, customs declarations,
olap data, edifakt, normed invoicing for building industries,
governmental statistics...

You clipped the context, thus misquoted what I wrote, in order to respond
sarcastically. I'll help you out by restoring the context.

"It would seem you're unfamiliar with the wonderful world of electronic data
sharing between contractual parties in common law jurisdictions, where the
main goal is *AVOIDING* arguments over which copies of given files are
*ORIGINAL*."

If outsiders could pull data from web pages or (for them) read-only ftp data
sources, then those would be acceptable alternatives because the original
data wouldn't be subject to disagreement (or there'd be a presumption that
the data thus available was original). However, if the only data
transmission option is e-mail with file attachments, PDF files are usually
the best option.

arno

However, if
the only data transmission option is e-mail with file attachments,
PDF files are usually the best option.

good luck.

arno