Harlan Grove

"arno" wrote...
In many situations, only PDF files are distributed because they can't
be changed

I am sorry, but this is definetly bull...

pdf means nothing else than I decide to manipulate the data when
transferring it to excel OR manipulating it because I have to find dumb
workarounds to import the data OR I make errors when importing. If one
produces pdf he is to dumb to produce simple and clear datafiles that
can easily be read by any software. This is something for "experts" not
for anyone who does not know more than printing to a pdf-printer.

You don't understand.

PDFs and similar formats are distributed because they're much more difficult
to alter than XLS files or other file formats designed to accomodate
frequent changes. The goal is *PREVENTING* *CHANGES* *TO* *THE* FILES*. It's
child's play to change XLS files. It's much more difficult to change PDF
files.

It would seem you're unfamiliar with the wonderful world of electronic data
sharing between contractual parties in common law jurisdictions, where the
main goal is *AVOIDING* arguments over which copies of given files are
*ORIGINAL*. PDF files make that MUCH EASIER than most other file formats.

If you want to transfer data then transfer data, if you want to send a
fax then send a fax. If you want to receive data then ask for data,
there's always a way.

Since you don't know what you're talking about (since there are millions
more Acrobat users than people who take you seriously), rant on, dude!