Default vlookup for multiple columns

Hello excel wizards!
I have a dilemna that I hope you can help with. I want to use the
vlookup function (or something like it) to say if (cellx in Sheet1
column A is equal to = Sheet2A1) AND (cellx in Sheet1 column B is equal
to = cellx in Sheet2B1) then input the value from cellx in Sheet column
C into Sheet2C1. I can do this using the IF function, but it only
works if the cells being compared on the two separate sheets are in the
same row. Is there a way to do it where the cells being compared
aren't in the same row (this is why I think I need to use vlookup)?
Thanks for your time!