Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default calculating

What formula to use if you want to make reference to 2 cells;
example: If year A1 equal to B10 the maximum value it can have is 2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am sure there is a way. What kind of information is in A1? Is it a date
or just the year? Is B10 always going to be the cell you compare too? And
what do you want to do if the A1<B10?

PJ

"Link" wrote:

What formula to use if you want to make reference to 2 cells;
example: If year A1 equal to B10 the maximum value it can have is 2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If both A1 and B10 are in date formats try this formula. Change the values
you want accordingly//In the below example if both months are same it will
return 1 and if not 2. Adjust as required.

=IF(Month(A1)=Month(B10),1,2)

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Link" wrote:

What formula to use if you want to make reference to 2 cells;
example: If year A1 equal to B10 the maximum value it can have is 2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you mean

=IF(Month(A1)=Month(B10),1,0)

If not post back with what value you are expecting..if the month is not same..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Link" wrote:

What formula to use if you want to make reference to 2 cells;
example: If year A1 equal to B10 the maximum value it can have is 2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For example in the below if month(A1) and month(B1) has a difference of 5
what is expected.

=IF(Month(A1)=Month(B10),1,0)

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Link" wrote:

What formula to use if you want to make reference to 2 cells;
example: If year A1 equal to B10 the maximum value it can have is 2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I say your other post...Is this what you are looking for ?

=IF(Month(B2)=Month(D10),1,D11+D12-D13)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Link" wrote:

What formula to use if you want to make reference to 2 cells;
example: If year A1 equal to B10 the maximum value it can have is 2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you mean...

=IF(Month(B2)=Month(D10),1,MIN(1,D11+D12-D13))

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Link" wrote:

What formula to use if you want to make reference to 2 cells;
example: If year A1 equal to B10 the maximum value it can have is 2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I will explain what the formula does and from there you should be able to
take up...

The IF condition in the formula If( a condition, value to return if
condition is true, value to return if condition is false)

Month is a function to return month from a date cell
So here we are comparing the month of B2 with that of D10. If both are same
we are returning the value as 1 which I think is what you require.
If the month is not same then we are taking the minimum of 1 and
d11+d12+d13. I am not sure what this calculation is . If you look at your
previous replies and even your original query you have not mentioned the
condition at all. I got this D11+D12-D13 from your other post...

"Link" wrote:

What formula to use if you want to make reference to 2 cells;
example: If year A1 equal to B10 the maximum value it can have is 2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jacob thank for your help!
I put bracket beside your question what the calculation I want.

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

I will explain what the formula does and from there you should be able to
take up...

The IF condition in the formula If( a condition, value to return if
condition is true, value to return if condition is false)

Month is a function to return month from a date cell
So here we are comparing the month of B2 with that of D10. If both are same
we are returning the value as 1 which I think is what you require. ( IF THE RESULTS AFTER CALCULATING D11+D12-D13 IS 1 OR NEGATIVES IT STAYS; IF THE RESULT IS OVER 1 IT RETURNS A VALUE OF 1)
If the month is not same then we are taking the minimum of 1 and
d11+d12+d13. I am not sure what this calculation is . If you look at your
previous replies and even your original query you have not mentioned the
condition at all. I got this D11+D12-D13 from your other post...(IF THE MONTHS ARE NOT THE SAME, THE RESULT FROM CALCULATING D11+D12-D13 IF OK)