Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Unable To Read File - Sumproduct error

Hi

I'm using Sumproduct to count rows that meet certain criteria in external
worksheets. If the other sheets are open everything is fine. If not, then I
get the error 'Unable to read file'.

Can anyone help please? All the files are valid xls files and the path in
the sumproduct formula is fine.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What you should get when the source file is not open is a #VALUE error
best wishes
Bernard Liengme
MVP Excel

"Fluke" wrote in message
Hi

I'm using Sumproduct to count rows that meet certain criteria in external
worksheets. If the other sheets are open everything is fine. If not,
then I
get the error 'Unable to read file'.

Can anyone help please? All the files are valid xls files and the path in
the sumproduct formula is fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Actually, =sumproduct() should work fine if the sending file is closed.

=sumif(), =countif(), =indirect()
won't work with closed files.

But I don't have a guess why the OP is getting the error message.

I know that when I do this, I build the formula with the sending workbooks open
and then close those files when the formulas are working ok. (I'll let excel do
the heavy lifting and adjust the paths.)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dave,
Just did an experiment in XL2007 and got #VALUE! with sending file closed
and expected result when it is open.
best wishes

"Fluke" wrote in message
Hi

I'm using Sumproduct to count rows that meet certain criteria in
external
worksheets. If the other sheets are open everything is fine. If not,
then I
get the error 'Unable to read file'.

Can anyone help please? All the files are valid xls files and the path
in
the sumproduct formula is fine.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dave,
I am sorry I contradicted you. My experiment was in XL2007 running under
Windows 7 RC. I tried again on my old PC and got what we both expected -
SUMPROCDUCT does no need the sending file to be open. I will try again on
new PC to see if my example was a bit odd.
best wishes
Bernard

"Fluke" wrote in message
Hi

I'm using Sumproduct to count rows that meet certain criteria in
external
worksheets. If the other sheets are open everything is fine. If not,
then I
get the error 'Unable to read file'.

Can anyone help please? All the files are valid xls files and the path
in
the sumproduct formula is fine.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you open both files, does the formula calculate correctly?

Does the formula point at the correct file (dropping the drive and path)?

And if you close the "sending" file and recalc, do you still get that error
message?

I don't have a guess, but maybe someone else will with further information.