Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default populate duplicate data into a spreadsheet

Is there a way to populate duplicate inventory data into a spreadsheet
without typing it?
For example...
Qty 10 blouses @ 9.99 2 Sm, 4 Med, 4 Lg Is there a formula available
so that the word 'Blouse' appears 10 times in Col A on lines 2-11
'9.99' appears 10 times in Col B lines 2-11
'Sm' appears in Col C lines 2-3
'Med' appears in Col C lines 4-7
'Lg' appears in Col C lines 8-11

I'd be grateful for any ideas and/or help. thanks.
--
Toni Marie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Toni Marie wrote:
Is there a way to populate duplicate inventory data into a spreadsheet
without typing it?
For example...
Qty 10 blouses @ 9.99 2 Sm, 4 Med, 4 Lg Is there a formula available
so that the word 'Blouse' appears 10 times in Col A on lines 2-11
'9.99' appears 10 times in Col B lines 2-11
'Sm' appears in Col C lines 2-3
'Med' appears in Col C lines 4-7
'Lg' appears in Col C lines 8-11

I'd be grateful for any ideas and/or help. thanks.

First, realize a formula cannot populate other cells, only the cell it
is in.

Second, having so much information stored in one cell dreadfully
complicates the task of parsing the input to generate data. The
immediate remedy is to put each piece of information in a separate cell:

Qty..Item..Price..#Sm..#Med..#Lg

But this seems like a pretty good (but not perfect) way to store the
data for further analysis. The big question is what do you need/are you
going to do with the results?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You probably need a macro. You need to do two steps.

1) first rearange the data in table format

A B C D E
Qty Price Qty Sm Qty Med Qty Lg

2) Once you have the colunm format then create you multiple line output with
one blouse per line.

Maybe it would be better if you posted more lines of what you input looks
like and where is you input coming from? A text file?