Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I sort a list of numbers by the last 4 digits?

I have a list of numbers that are 6 digits long & I want to sort them
(ascending or descending) by the last 4 digits. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Using a helper column, it is.

Assume number is in cell A2 - A1000, say..

in helper column, enter =Right(A2,4)

Then sort based on the helper column...

"Kristin S" wrote:

I have a list of numbers that are 6 digits long & I want to sort them
(ascending or descending) by the last 4 digits. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

helper column

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Kristin S" <Kristin
wrote in message
I have a list of numbers that are 6 digits long & I want to sort them
(ascending or descending) by the last 4 digits. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Kristin,

One method is to insert a dummy column with formula =right(A1,4)
Then use the sort function to sort the dummy column in ascending or
descending order.
Please advise if this works.