Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default ISTEST Function

HELP!!

I'm working on a project for my class and they want me to "test whether
there is a value in a cell in order to sum it up"

Add Invoice total + Shipping Cost + Sales Tax.

However, the Shipping Cost Cell has been set up as follows:

=IF(H14="","---",IF(OR(H14="ID",H14="OR"),"NO
COST",IF(H14="NV",O27*0.6,IF(H14="CA",O27*0.9))))

So if there is "NO COST" in the Shipping Cost cell the simple summation
formula won't work. They want us to do ISTEST, but I can't find any
information on this. I am beginning to think its a typo.

Any advice would be great!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I've never heard of ISTEST and I don't understand the question. SUM is
clever enough to ignore text in the range so if one of the cells you are
summing contains the text NO COST it will be ignored.

Perhaps you need to clarify.

Mike

"Sondra" wrote:

HELP!!

I'm working on a project for my class and they want me to "test whether
there is a value in a cell in order to sum it up"

Add Invoice total + Shipping Cost + Sales Tax.

However, the Shipping Cost Cell has been set up as follows:

=IF(H14="","---",IF(OR(H14="ID",H14="OR"),"NO
COST",IF(H14="NV",O27*0.6,IF(H14="CA",O27*0.9))))

So if there is "NO COST" in the Shipping Cost cell the simple summation
formula won't work. They want us to do ISTEST, but I can't find any
information on this. I am beginning to think its a typo.

Any advice would be great!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah,

You may mean an IS Test. i.e

=IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"Yes","no")

Mike

"Sondra" wrote:

HELP!!

I'm working on a project for my class and they want me to "test whether
there is a value in a cell in order to sum it up"

Add Invoice total + Shipping Cost + Sales Tax.

However, the Shipping Cost Cell has been set up as follows:

=IF(H14="","---",IF(OR(H14="ID",H14="OR"),"NO
COST",IF(H14="NV",O27*0.6,IF(H14="CA",O27*0.9))))

So if there is "NO COST" in the Shipping Cost cell the simple summation
formula won't work. They want us to do ISTEST, but I can't find any
information on this. I am beginning to think its a typo.

Any advice would be great!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sondra wrote...
I'm working on a project for my class and they want me to "test whether
there is a value in a cell in order to sum it up"

. . . They want us to do ISTEST, but I can't find any
information on this. *I am beginning to think its a typo.

Best course of action would be to ask the instructor whether ISTEST is
a typo or whether it's a placeholder for a function which Excel does
provide.

Your instructor may want you to check the value type, but in the real
world if *expected* results were either text or number and all you
need to do sum it, you wouldn't check value types.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It was IS TEXT. Thanks David...

Now I need help with writing this.

I have
Subtotal (O27)
Shipping (O28)
Sales Tax (029)
Total (O30)

The Shipping cell will result in either a calculation or "NO COST" text
statement depending on the STATE shipping location. The following formula is
currently in the Shipping cell

=IF(H14="","---",IF(OR(H14="ID",H14="OR"),"NO
COST",IF(H14="NV",O27*0.6,IF(H14="CA",O27*0.9))))

I now need assistance writing an ISTEXT formula in the TOTAL cell and also
the sum of O27+O28+O29

Thanks for the help.

"Sondra" wrote in message
HELP!!

I'm working on a project for my class and they want me to "test whether
there is a value in a cell in order to sum it up"

Add Invoice total + Shipping Cost + Sales Tax.

However, the Shipping Cost Cell has been set up as follows:

=IF(H14="","---",IF(OR(H14="ID",H14="OR"),"NO
COST",IF(H14="NV",O27*0.6,IF(H14="CA",O27*0.9))))

So if there is "NO COST" in the Shipping Cost cell the simple summation
formula won't work. They want us to do ISTEST, but I can't find any
information on this. I am beginning to think its a typo.

Any advice would be great!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sondra wrote...
It was IS TEXT. *Thanks David...

Now I need help with writing this.

Is this or isn't it *YOUR* homework?

How much of *YOUR* homework are you allowed to let other people do for
you?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Harlan:

This is an assignment for my course. The instructor informed us to use all
resources to find the answers. I'm 45 years old and I figure that the
"experts" are the best resources to use.