Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default ISTEST Function

Hi,

I've never heard of ISTEST and I don't understand the question. SUM is
clever enough to ignore text in the range so if one of the cells you are
summing contains the text NO COST it will be ignored.

Perhaps you need to clarify.

Mike

"Sondra" wrote:

HELP!!

I'm working on a project for my class and they want me to "test whether
there is a value in a cell in order to sum it up"

Add Invoice total + Shipping Cost + Sales Tax.

However, the Shipping Cost Cell has been set up as follows:

=IF(H14="","---",IF(OR(H14="ID",H14="OR"),"NO
COST",IF(H14="NV",O27*0.6,IF(H14="CA",O27*0.9))))

So if there is "NO COST" in the Shipping Cost cell the simple summation
formula won't work. They want us to do ISTEST, but I can't find any
information on this. I am beginning to think its a typo.

Any advice would be great!