Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 6th 09, 02:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: May 2009
Posts: 2
Default How do I set a maximum value (e.g. cap at 200)

I have a formula set to multiply a rate by a quantity, I then need to cap the
total at 200
example:
42 people x 86 minutes x $0.05 = $180.60
but I need the total to cap at $200 when a different amount of people is
entered and takes it above $200
make sense?

  #2   Report Post  
Old May 6th 09, 03:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 143
Default How do I set a maximum value (e.g. cap at 200)

Try this:
A B C D
42 86 .05 =IF(A1*B1*C1200,200,A1*B1*C1)
--
Regards,

PJ
Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful.



"LeeLobb" wrote:

I have a formula set to multiply a rate by a quantity, I then need to cap the
total at 200
example:
42 people x 86 minutes x $0.05 = $180.60
but I need the total to cap at $200 when a different amount of people is
entered and takes it above $200
make sense?

  #3   Report Post  
Old May 6th 09, 03:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: May 2009
Posts: 2
Default How do I set a maximum value (e.g. cap at 200)

That works exactly how I wanted it...thanks for your assistance!

"PJFry" wrote:

Try this:
A B C D
42 86 .05 =IF(A1*B1*C1200,200,A1*B1*C1)
--
Regards,

PJ
Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful.



"LeeLobb" wrote:

I have a formula set to multiply a rate by a quantity, I then need to cap the
total at 200
example:
42 people x 86 minutes x $0.05 = $180.60
but I need the total to cap at $200 when a different amount of people is
entered and takes it above $200
make sense?

  #4   Report Post  
Old May 6th 09, 03:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,520
Default How do I set a maximum value (e.g. cap at 200)

Suppose you have your values in A,B,C

=IF((a1*b1*c1)200,200,a1*b1*c1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria


"LeeLobb" wrote:

I have a formula set to multiply a rate by a quantity, I then need to cap the
total at 200
example:
42 people x 86 minutes x $0.05 = $180.60
but I need the total to cap at $200 when a different amount of people is
entered and takes it above $200
make sense?

  #5   Report Post  
Old May 6th 09, 05:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jan 2009
Posts: 222
Default How do I set a maximum value (e.g. cap at 200)

You can eliminate the double evaluation with a simple MIN() formula:

=MIN((A1*B1*C1,200)

This will always show the lower number...your formula or 200.

--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.


"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Suppose you have your values in A,B,C

=IF((a1*b1*c1)200,200,a1*b1*c1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria


"LeeLobb" wrote:

I have a formula set to multiply a rate by a quantity, I then need to cap the
total at 200
example:
42 people x 86 minutes x $0.05 = $180.60
but I need the total to cap at $200 when a different amount of people is
entered and takes it above $200
make sense?



  #6   Report Post  
Old May 6th 09, 05:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jan 2009
Posts: 222
Default How do I set a maximum value (e.g. cap at 200)

You can eliminate the double evaluation with a simple MIN() formula:

=MIN((A1*B1*C1,200)

This will always show the lower number...your formula or 200.

--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.


"LeeLobb" wrote:

That works exactly how I wanted it...thanks for your assistance!

"PJFry" wrote:

Try this:
A B C D
42 86 .05 =IF(A1*B1*C1200,200,A1*B1*C1)
--
Regards,

PJ
Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful.



"LeeLobb" wrote:

I have a formula set to multiply a rate by a quantity, I then need to cap the
total at 200
example:
42 people x 86 minutes x $0.05 = $180.60
but I need the total to cap at $200 when a different amount of people is
entered and takes it above $200
make sense?

  #7   Report Post  
Old May 6th 09, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 143
Default How do I set a maximum value (e.g. cap at 200)

Good point.
--
Regards,

PJ
Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful.



"JBeaucaire" wrote:

You can eliminate the double evaluation with a simple MIN() formula:

=MIN((A1*B1*C1,200)

This will always show the lower number...your formula or 200.

--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.


"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Suppose you have your values in A,B,C

=IF((a1*b1*c1)200,200,a1*b1*c1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria


"LeeLobb" wrote:

I have a formula set to multiply a rate by a quantity, I then need to cap the
total at 200
example:
42 people x 86 minutes x $0.05 = $180.60
but I need the total to cap at $200 when a different amount of people is
entered and takes it above $200
make sense?

  #8   Report Post  
Old June 24th 16, 03:04 PM
DUV DUV is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLobb View Post
I have a formula set to multiply a rate by a quantity, I then need to cap the
total at 200
example:
42 people x 86 minutes x $0.05 = $180.60
but I need the total to cap at $200 when a different amount of people is
entered and takes it above $200
make sense?
I have a similar problem but want the result to be constrained between two numbers . I can do the bottom and top constraints individually but cannot figure out how to combine the formulas. The formulas i have are...

Bottom =MAX(350,(A1*0.15%))
Top =MIN(1500,(A1*0.15%))

essentailly i want the result to be constrained between 350 and 1500 when multiplying cell A1 by 0.15%.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Return Maximum from Column directly above Maximum in Row Code Numpty Charts and Charting in Excel 2 November 19th 08 07:29 AM
Maximum Louisq Excel Worksheet Functions 1 February 13th 07 03:36 PM
Maximum If Help RFJ Excel Worksheet Functions 1 August 19th 05 02:37 PM
MAXIMUM VALUE Carolan Excel Worksheet Functions 2 June 14th 05 06:05 PM
Specify Maximum Value jcliquidtension Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 February 23rd 05 08:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017